first batch of cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shmoeusn

Reaction score
I just came home from my local hbs with a 1 gallon carboy, a 6 gram pack of yeast, and some c-brite sanatizer. The guy at my hbs told me to pick of some non pasturized apple juice, so i got a 1.5 liter bottle of pure apple juice and 64oz. of apple cider which is pasteurized and has ascorbic acid in it. He also told me to just use table sugar. So I have all the ingredients (I think) but what do i do from here? I have no clue.
Thanks,
the NOOB

shmoeusn said:
I just came home from my local hbs with a 1 gallon carboy, a 6 gram pack of yeast, and some c-brite sanatizer. The guy at my hbs told me to pick of some non pasturized apple juice, so i got a 1.5 liter bottle of pure apple juice and 64oz. of apple cider which is pasteurized and has ascorbic acid in it. He also told me to just use table sugar. So I have all the ingredients (I think) but what do i do from here? I have no clue.
Thanks,
the NOOB

Put one cup of the pure apple juice into a large measuring cup, add the yeast and let it sit for a couple of hours. Once you notice it starting to foam, put the 64oz of cider into your clean, sanitized carboy. If you choose to add sugar, you can add it now, use either white or brown sugar, or honey. Put the cover on it, make sure its tight, and shake the bejesus out of it until all the sweetener has dissolved. Add the yeast mixture, then top the jug up with the pure apple juice. Leave at least a few inches of head space. Put the airlock on, then wait!

I'd recommend boiling any sugar you want to add to get it dissolved and santized. Why unpasteurized though.. that's an interesting suggestiong since it's the one thing that ensures no wild yeast present. Who knows.

Back