Ghetto Brew Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgherrington3

Reaction score
Just fooling around this morning with some ebrewing stuff I bought at Home Depot, when it hit me that I could make simple electric AG kit and mail it to my son in San Francisco for Christmas. I've been mailing him finished beer and thought he might like to brew his own.

So here's the the basics of the kit:

5 Gallon bucket $2.50
Lid $1
1500w 120v element $10
1" lockring $.50
5' cord $5
Spigot $3
Air lock $2
5 gal paint strainer bag $2

So I got ~$25 in the hardware

Here's a demo bucket action (don't be hatin' :D)

003.jpg

Include some grains and a pack of yeast.

Haven't worked on the recipe, but it should go something like this:

Add 3 gallons water to bucket and plug in
When boiling, unplug and add X amount tap water (to bring down to mash temp guess I could include a thermometer in the kit, but hey I'm cheap)
Add the grains and first wort hops cover with lid and sit for an hour
Remove bag
Boil for 1 hour
Let cool
Add yeast, lid, airlock
Let sit for 5 days in the cool San Francisco air
Add priming sugar to PET bottles and fill from spigot
harvest yeast and brew another batch
Wait 3 weeks
Chill and drink :ban:

Tapping an electric element into a plastic bucket??

These buckets are meant for paint and therefore i believe are not food grade.
Those exposed wires are even less "food grade" with that huge leak from the bottom
Good luck...

Brew was a success. Bucket didn't leak a drop. It's in the fermenter now.

Well, not what you would call a fermenter. The bucket is floating in my septic tank. It's nice and cool down there!

You got the nut for the element at Home depot? Is it stainless? I've been wanting to turn my HLT to electric but can't find those nuts without some unreasonable shipping costs.

Edit: in response to the actual build...not sure if those buckets are safe to boil in, but if they are its the perfect 4 gallon extract batch set up. Think about it, brew the beer, attach the lid and let it cool over night, pitch yeast in the morning, ferment in the vessel, rack when done, dump the bucket. Turn hardwired aspect of it into a plug and receptacle to detach and stuff it into the closet. Other than the bucket I really like it.

You got the nut for the element at Home depot? Is it stainless? I've been wanting to turn my HLT to electric but can't find those nuts without some unreasonable shipping costs.

Edit: in response to the actual build...not sure if those buckets are safe to boil in, but if they are its the perfect 4 gallon extract batch set up. Think about it, brew the beer, attach the lid and let it cool over night, pitch yeast in the morning, ferment in the vessel, rack when done, dump the bucket. Turn hardwired aspect of it into a plug and receptacle to detach and stuff it into the closet. Other than the bucket I really like it.

Thank you for having the balls to post something positive.

Yeah the stainless ring and O ring kit online is pricey.

1" galvanized rings can be found in the electric department at the depot 2 for $.60.

No O ring on the inside of the homer bucket and didn't leak a drop.

If you hunted the depot I bet you could find a nylon lock ring, if the galvanized bothers you. Can't wait for someone to jump in here and tell me that zinc causes alzheimer's. :D

The plastic bucket thing has been beaten to death on the web. The orange homer buckets are not "food safe" the white ones supposedly are. The brewsnobs will only use stainless or glass of course. Your call.

I was just fooling around to show what can be done and piss off a few of the brewsnobs around here. Success on both :ban:

Good luck with your brews.:mug:

And... trolled...

Yeah, nice touch leaving the ground wire clipped off the rig. Let's hope the next hurricane doesn't flood out your septic tank. The weather can be dicey there in West Palm Beach.

I call fail on pissing off the brew snobs though. Seems to me the commenters were just trying to help you out.

I know your most likely, screwing with us.

But really man? With an AL 8 gallon pot being something like 10 bucks at walmart, why waste time?

If your serious for ****s sake dont send it to your son. Its not alzhiemers you have to worry about with galvanized its heavy metal poisoning. I threw gal. roffing in a fire once and got sick as hell do to exposure of the vapors, I was outsside. Dont heat that crap up.

As you may be aware, some people believe that relatively large doses of zinc protect against and/or cure the rhinoviruses that cause the common cold and similar diseases.

This particular method of brewing my be the cure for the common cold :ban:

PM me if you would you like to participate in human trials. I'll send you a bottle.

Maybe I can get some money from the Federal Government to study it?

Believe it or not they did a study on the use of galvanized steel garbage cans as smokers.

Really, throw galvanized roofing material on a fire, and then come on here and call me stupid for boiling it?

I'm going back to my sewer fermenter and troll on in the darkness of ignorance :rockin:

I think that boiling water in a plastic bucket , especially one that is not food grade as I suspect this one is , is probably not good for your health .
does this not put a chemical taste in your beer in the first batch or so ? Perhaps not enough to notice but it is there.

Craigs list .. Look for a turkey deep fryer . Bought me one for 20 bucks . have brewed 2 AG and 2 partial mash kits with one bottle of propane so far . Not enough left to do either again but could boil up a few gallons for a no boil kit .
adds a bit to the beer cost but .. Oh wait that aluminum pot does raise concerns but the issue here in not cancer from plastic chems or alzheimer's from aluminum it is the bad taste and the aluminum does not leave one .

I have to say this is Brilliant (with some tweaking) as others have harshly stated.

You have to start somewhere on any idea, I could see this working great, as a cheap electric brewing build, by adding a pot, temp controller and a shut off switch.

Thinking outside the box is a Great thing! If every inventor let the nay sayers stop them, we would still be living in caves, Keep it up.

Cheers :tank:

As you may be aware, some people believe that relatively large doses of zinc protect against and/or cure the rhinoviruses that cause the common cold and similar diseases.

PM me if you would you like to participate in human trials. I'll send you a bottle.

Believe it or not they did a study on the use of galvanized steel garbage cans as smokers.

Really, throw galvanized roofing material on a fire, and then come on here and call me stupid for boiling it?

I'm going back to my sewer fermenter and troll on in the darkness of ignorance :rockin:

I have an excuse, I was 15 at the time. I assume your an adult.
but for now im outta troll food

I may actually do this in an alluminum pot if i can find the right fittings. wrap it with insulation and do biab, thanks for some insperation atleast

I may actually do this in an alluminum pot if i can find the right fittings. wrap it with insulation and do biab, thanks for some insperation atleast

That's cool. You'll be amazed at the beer you can make with just a pot and a paint strainer.

Hmmmm....I wonder if I really need the paint strainer? :D :D

Good luck with your brews :ban:

That's cool. You'll be amazed at the beer you can make with just a pot and a paint strainer.

Hmmmm....I wonder if I really need the paint strainer? :D :D

Good luck with your brews :ban:

Paint strainer is not necessary if you have a big colander and transfer to another pot for the boil. Been there done that.

Yeah for the permanent setup

I'm thinking of putting the 2000w/120v in the turkey pot to cook rice for american beers

And the 5500w/240v in the keggle for BIAB

Buying propane is bringing me down.

Cheers!

I want to go on the record as saying this is awesome.

Could you fancy it up? (By which I mean, make it safe and reliable?) Of course. But what would be the fun in that? The challenge was to make a brew rig as cheaply as possible and this is pretty much as cheap as it gets.

Now, will it give your son cancer, or diabetes or glaucoma? Hell, I don't know, probably. But it's still cool as hell, and you know after a few batches he's going to start upgrading stuff anyway, as we all do. I say go for it. Unless it kills him, in which case I thought it was a bad idea all along.

Cheers!

Zinc seems to be very bad news . Noticed it is frowned upon in denture adhesives and other things .
Galvanized steel sure does put off a bad smell when burned .
You may have something here. Let me know as soon as you get that batch of zinc supplemented burnt galvanized smoke infused beer done as I would sure like some . Who needs smokey flavors from expensive barley when you can just pick up some old trash cans from the dump and burn them .

I have to say this is Brilliant (with some tweaking) as others have harshly stated.

You have to start somewhere on any idea, I could see this working great, as a cheap electric brewing build, by adding a pot, temp controller and a shut off switch.

Thinking outside the box is a Great thing! If every inventor let the nay sayers stop them, we would still be living in caves, Keep it up.

Adding pot is the main thing here . Although it was a thinking outside the box moment and useful to one who had little money to work with the bucket is just not good . Even a food grade bucket is probably not good to boil in . but sometimes you just got to do what you got to do to get it done .

Your local water company/utility should regularly publish the results of its water quality tests. That's a good place to start. If you want the specific profile of your own tap water (as opposed to more generally what is coming out of the main utility pipe) you can send a sample to Ward Labs (search Ward Labs water test) and they'll tell you all about your water's mineral characteristics, including testing for the presence of harmful metals.

Cheers.

Can I send some water to a lab to see if there's any zinc in it? I'll have to send a control sample as well.

yes you can . If you search for well water testing or similar you will find lots of places that test water for city and wells . Your local coop may do it as well .

I think folks also send stuff to a company called ward? I've seen them mentioned in water chemistry as well as an interesting thread on before and after water samples done in an e-brewery build when the OP added a magnesium diode (might be the wrong word there) to prevent rust yo his element. Would be interesting to see what your water is like out of tap vs after 1 hour if boiling.

So, OP - it's been fermenting for a week now - have you taken any samplings? Tasted it? Are you dead? :cross:

Not too worried about the element rusting. It's chrome plated. Chromium doesn't dissolve in water like zinc.

I didn't mention that because you would have rust issues, the test was about the magnesium an node and how much magnesium was introduced after an hour long boil. The reason i brought it up is because i thought it would be interesting to see a similar test done. Take your water from the tap, boil for an hour and have that water tested to see if anything is leaching from the bucket or the fittings.

...and mail it to my son in San Francisco for Christmas...(don't be hatin' :D)
<shaking head>

I expect you're sort of playing with us in an unconventional unfunny ghetto-style way.

But the ungrounded, unshielded, unprotected, un-GFCI'd element is a life-threatening hazard. An accident waiting to happen.

Your son may, or may not be savvy with open, live electrical connections, but a few seconds of inattentiveness or an unaware friend pointing at it with "wass dat?" could cause a major mishap, possibly death.

Plus you may give someone else the wrong idea. Who knows where this picture will surface in the next 20-some years?

</shaking head>

Back