Intense Fermentation (or how I learned to love the bomb)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawksBrewer

Reaction score
This happened over a year ago, but I never managed to get around to posting it. This is what happens when you pitch the correct amount of Wyeast 1010 yeast, aerate properly and FORGET TO LEAVE ENOUGH HEADROOM in your FV.

This was after 12-16 hours...

IMG00038-20110401-1758.jpg

Someone mentioned selling ceiling mops at the LHBS... genius! :mug:

Yeah, that was the first and last time I plan on cleaning every surface above a FV. Also, the lid is how I found it, talk about pressure/force.

Yeah, the reason I say that is that I recently used Kolsch 2565 and people were mentioning how they needed a blowoff almost without exception. I have recently set up a keezer/ferm-wrap low/high temp control system where I can pretty much keep the beer in a 2 degree range. In that case, with a stirred starter and a oxygen, I got almost to the neck of a 6.5 gallon carboy, which was by far the largest krausen I'd ever had, but not a blow-off.

Anyway, even in an amibient temp of about 40.F with a starting temp of 60 degrees in a semi insulated, open top box, the fermentation was able to climb to 64.F on the Kolsch, and a wyeast 1056 IPA went from 68 to 72.F in a 40.F ambient. So 66 ambient with no temp control might be upwards of 80.F.

For the purposes of this thread, none of this is important, and that is a crazy blow-out. I just thought I'd share my recent observations because I'm still geeked to learn all these things.

I definitely appreciate the feedback. And yes, as is clearly obvious, we had zero form of temp control back then!

The funny thing is, if you look at the blow off tube from the wheat it is perfectly clean (got plugged at the source) and if you look at the bourbon stout blow off it is filthy as all heck. That actually turned out to be the worst beer we ever made. Not b/c of this situation, but b/c we added this weird Eastern European sour cherry juice to it after primary was complete. It fermented an add'l 10 days afterwards and is still an alcoholic hot mess to this day. One of those and you are DONE. :drunk:

Latest posts

Back