transplanting hops, japanese beetles last year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I put some hops in a couple of years ago at an apartment I lived in and I left them there when I moved. The owner of the house said that there were japanese beetle all over them last year.

I'm thinking about transplanting, digging up a pretty big chunk of dirt/root ball (trying to get the whole root ball if possible). Do you think by moving a lot of dirt I would be bringing more beetle larva if they are still around?

I think that with the amount of digging and cutting you are going to have to do to get the whole plant there will not be a ton of dirt left on it to hide grubs. Then to be on the safe side do what i did, got a trap already purchased and ready to put up.

I agree with above. I transplanted six plants this year. I could see larva in the ground which I stepped on. I also knocked so much dirt off in the process that I didn't think I transported any beetles.
I also think even if you transport zero beetles if they are in the region they will find your plants and chew on them. So I would prepare defenses even if the transport count is zero.

Biggest tip regarding Japanese beetles is to not buy those damn traps (and toss the ones you did buy). They are simply a bait bag which attract even more beetles from around the neighborhood.

You have to hit them where and when it hurts the most - in the ground as grubs. Use milky spore in your yard (and if the beetles are bad - your neighbor's yard if you can work that out) and you will stop the cycle. Many insecticides are only usable when bugs are soft-shelled or larval.

Why not just snip off a few rhizomes? You can see if there are any grubs pretty easily. That way you could leave the plant there and maybe the jap beetles would leave the ones at your new location alone. You can always come back to the mother plant for more rhizomes in the future. Just a suggestion.

I was thinking if I pulled the whole root ball I would have better luck, in the past I tried pulling 1/2 of the root ball on 3 plants and only one survive.

Any one have any tips on cutting a rhizome?

You would lose less ground (no pun intended) if you moved the whole root ball. You are still going to stress the hell out of it by digging and relocating, but less than starting over with just rhizomes. Also, you will be able to tend to your hops if they are at the same location as you are.

Don't sweat the grubs. They are probably in the lawn where they can feed on the easy roots. Just consider japanese beetle prevention techniques sooner than later - whether organic or chemical.

Biggest tip regarding Japanese beetles is to not buy those damn traps (and toss the ones you did buy). They are simply a bait bag which attract even more beetles from around the neighborhood.

You have to hit them where and when it hurts the most - in the ground as grubs. Use milky spore in your yard (and if the beetles are bad - your neighbor's yard if you can work that out) and you will stop the cycle. Many insecticides are only usable when bugs are soft-shelled or larval.

Lol thats why i have the traps in a neighbors yard 2 properties away. He thinks it helps him but it REALLY helps me.

I live in central Illinois and japanese beetles are a massive problem. Almost all my neighborhood has dead grass patches from the larvae....

I was going to plant some first year cascade, centennial, and a magnum rhizome. Is there anything else to stop them from attacking that won't affect my plant ?

Perhaps I should put a bunch of traps on the opposite side of the yard from my plants

I live in aurora il and I think the solution is do everything you can. Grub control. Traps. Soap spray. I've had a lot of luck with a pan if old beer. They are drawn to the sweetness and drown in the beer.

Latest posts

Back