Dale's Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkimac1027

Reaction score
So there's this brew that i just got... in a CAN. Apparently is great! anyone tried this yet? i have one in my fridge... 10$ a sixer..... is this a killer beer? i want o try it when i havnt had a few...

Pretty killer, yeah. It has a super grainy taste that I've never had in any other beerbefore.

That same brewery has an IPA called Gordon--I highly recommend that one if you can find it.

Does you husband drink all these beers with you? I gotta say--I'm impressed at your beer knowledge AND your tastes. Don't see many young female hopheads....no offense intended.

No problem, my husband started me off on the stepping stone (i owe it all to him)..... that being Sierra Nevada, and then he deployed for 6 months in a dry country.. that's where i surpassed him :) But now we are 100% on the same level and he enjoys homebrewing and taste testing as much as i do. I am a major hophead, and he was a major red ale man, but i'm bringing him around ;)

This beer is new to central FL though, this is the first i've seen it around, but glad ot hear its good one. I'll look out for the IPA though, thanks dude.

Let's not forget Oskar Blues Old chub which is a scottish style ale. All their beers are terrific.
Yeah it comes in a can too, and it's 8%.

okay so my husband just came home and said he saw the IPA at our local Downtown Produce, and its 4 $ a can, but we'll buy it, based on your reccomendation....

Dale's Pale Ale is brewed right here in Colorado but I've never tried it. I still can't bring myself to drink beer from a can. Guess I better give it a try.

RichBrewer said:
Dale's Pale Ale is brewed right here in Colorado but I've never tried it. I still can't bring myself to drink beer from a can. Guess I better give it a try.

I don't know if you are a hophead or not, Rich, but that stuff is great. The Dale's is a little too grainy for my buds, but the IPA hides that a bit with all of the hops. When I say grainy I don't mean malty either--it is def a grainy taste that I've never had before. He must quadruple decoct or something. ;)

At any rate, they are both top notch brews.

RichBrewer said:

You're missing out!

Dale's is good stuff...Dont be scared of the can, can=good, can=zero light
They make an IPA too (i think the green can) Good stuff I tell 'ya

Torben Ulrich said:
Dale's is good stuff...Dont be scared of the can, can=good, can=zero light

Yep. I think the can is a good thing. I've had plenty of skunky beers out of bottles. Can't say I've had a skunky Dale's, and some of the cans I bought looked like they had been around for a while.

Dude said:
I don't know if you are a hophead or not, Rich, but that stuff is great. The Dale's is a little too grainy for my buds, but the IPA hides that a bit with all of the hops. When I say grainy I don't mean malty either--it is def a grainy taste that I've never had before. He must quadruple decoct or something. ;)

At any rate, they are both top notch brews.

you know, we tried it tonight, and i dont know if i found it extremely grainy. i found it to linger on the back of my tongue, which is not totally 100% pleasant, but i cant complain, for i find this beer to be a good one. all in all, i am a happy customer.

Oskar Blues Old chub- where is this coming from? can i get it in FL? east or west coast?

I recently read an article about the can movement and the future of cans. I think it was in Beer Advocate mag--anyway it had some really interesting info in it. I think you'll start to see more microbrews getting kegged in the future.

nikkimac1027 said:
you know, we tried it tonight, and i dont know if i found it extremely grainy. i found it to linger on the back of my tongue, which is not totally 100% pleasant, but i cant complain, for i find this beer to be a good one. all in all, i am a happy customer.

Oskar Blues Old chub- where is this coming from? can i get it in FL? east or west coast?

Oskar Blues makes Dales and Gordon. If you can find those, you can find Old Chub. FWIW, you can buy Old Chub chapstick at the Oskar Blues site. LOL.

Oskar Blues' beers are amazing....and they aren't nearly as expensive out here. 12'ers of Old Chub and Dale's Pale Ale (named after the brewmaster) are usually on sale for $10.99/12'er, Gordons (their strong ale/Imperial IPA) is expensive, it is like $9 for 4 cans, but it is great.

If you are reading this, and see any of their beers, don't let the cans turn you off, buy them, pour them into a pint glass if you can, and drink! They are great out of the cans too though if you find yourself in the woods and none are available.

Cans can be good and bad. Some beers taste have a give you a hint of metalic at the back of the throat. There is something nice about drinking out of glass though. My cheap store bought tipple (cascade draught) also comes in bottles (both 375ml and 800ml) but for space in the recycling bin it is good to be able to crush them down! :drunk::drunk::drunk:

RichBrewer said:
Well I'm going to give it a shot but how do we reuse the cans for home brew?:D

My pishhead mate takes his once a year to the scrap yard and gets scrap value for them. He got $120 this trip. About 120 Kilos of cans. Don't work it out, you do not want to know how many cans that is! He bought three cartons on the way back via the pub!

Just tried the Dales tonight. WOW this is a great beer. I will support the hell out of this brewery, I like their style.

Just tried the Dales tonight. WOW this is a great beer. I will support the hell out of this brewery, I like their style.

Got a sixer in the fridge in the garage just in case I need to go somewhere and drink out of a can. It goes great with this Lexan Pils glass when hiking.

664011Lrg.jpg

The base unscrews and nests in the top. $6 from REI.

Got a sixer in the fridge in the garage just in case I need to go somewhere and drink out of a can. It goes great with this Lexan Pils glass when hiking.

664011Lrg.jpg

The base unscrews and nests in the top. $6 from REI.

Nice. I just drank the first one out of the can. This is going to make a great beer to take out to the lake, where no glass is allowed. I think this beer will make the perfect post dive Beverage.

These beers, like most craft beers should not be drank from the can. Any metallic taste you will perceive from drinking one of these will be because you're putting your pils on aluminum. The liner in cans these days is pretty solid and the beer will stay in good condition in there, but it is like any other beer. I don't drink out of bottles and I wouldn't drink this stuff out of cans.

Just had this beer for the first time at a local bar. $3.50 for a can, but it was worth it. I poured it into a glass, so it didnt really matter. This is definately a beer I would buy again. On the hoppy side for a pale ale, but I like that!

Dale's is some really good stuff.

If you want other good canned beers, Maui Brewing Co. uses them. Their Big Swell IPA is excellent, and the Coconut Porter is pretty damn good as well.

Big fan o'the cans. My parents have a pool, so in the summer time I live off Sly Fox cans. Their Phoenix Pale Ale, Royal Weiss, and Pikeland Pils rock hard. I have some Dale's cans in the fridge right now. too. Oh, and in the summer, I bottle my watermelon wheat homebrew in these:

new_iron_city-thumb.jpg

Don't worry - they're not Iron City, nor have they ever contained Iron City (only pic I could find with the right shape), but I got a case of plain silver ones free from the brewery (sent to them as product samples). You need a bench capper though for the stubby neck, but otherwise they're awesome!

You guys talked me into it....with the Dales Pale Ale.....$9 6 pack and I can't even keep the bottles.....The beer is Very similar to the version of Fat Tire that they serve in Colorado Chili's restaurants. (Completely different from the bottled version)

so I have to say...i's good...but not that good.

I hate to say it, but everyone from joe shmo to the beer critics at the New York Times disagree with you. It is widely regarded as one of the best Am. Pale Ales out there...
:drunk:

meh, just #2 on the ratebeer top 50 AM pales ...not that it means anything :fro:

I would never put my PILS on the can! Thats just wierd! :D

pils in the can yo!
pilscan.jpg

Story of my life....but I's not paying $9 for non usable packaging....maybe if they would package in a ball lock cornie......I'd keep some on tap.

meh, the way I see it, that sixer would cost me about $25 at the bars or at Oskar Blues (but it tastes sooooo much better with a Silo burger and a side of Texas Toothpicks). Then again, I don't need packaging as I only bottle big beers that need to age a long time in 22oz bottles, keg everything else. I see your point.

Back