Can I get some help from the Southeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer

Reaction score
I'm originally from NC and stationed in AK with the military. A buddy and I were talking today and I came up with an idea that I'm determined to make work...

Bo'Berry Biscuit Stout.

If you've ever been to Bojangles, you know what I'm talking about. I have no idea where to start, but this is something that needs to happen. Soon.

I found a recipe for the biscuits: http://greensboring.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9441

I'd go low hopped, pale beer with some biscuit malt for a toasty/bready malt character. A vanilla bean and some dehydrated blueberries in secondary for a couple weeks. Maybe sme lactose if you want some added sweetness. You could also look into "fat washing" if you want to get some butter flavor in there (or just go with a high diacetyl producing yeast)

I found a recipe for the biscuits: http://greensboring.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9441

I'd go low hopped, pale beer with some biscuit malt for a toasty/bready malt character. A vanilla bean and some dehydrated blueberries in secondary for a couple weeks. Maybe sme lactose if you want some added sweetness. You could also look into "fat washing" if you want to get some butter flavor in there (or just go with a high diacetyl producing yeast)

Any suggestions for a yeast? I'm also reading that if you can time a cold crash correctly, to coincide with the "end" of fermentation, you can remove suspended yeast. This is supposed to maximize diacetyl retention as opposed to having it reabsorbed by the yeast if sitting in a primary for a while. Any thoughts?

Ringwood is notorious for diacetyl, might be a good choice. Cold crashing is an option, but on the first batch I wouldn't do anything too extremem, you don't want to end up with a butter-bomb.

Bojangles sells beer? I use them as bathroom runs on the drive up the east coast. I haven't eaten in one yet because usually the restaurant I hit smells as bad as the bathroom.

Next road trip I'm going to check them out.

Bojangles sells beer? I use them as bathroom runs on the drive up the east coast. I haven't eaten in one yet because usually the restaurant I hit smells as bad as the bathroom.

He just wants to make a beer that has flavors similar to one of their desserts.

Yeah, they don't sell any beer to my knowledge. I'd HIGHLY suggest eating there, though. I'll admit the restaurants are usually shady, so just go through the drive through. Make sure you get cajun chicken, a biscuit, fries with seasoning, and a Bo'Berry Biscuit - anything else is up to you. It's all good, but those four items are staples there. Once you try the Bo'Berry Biscuit, you'll see why I'm trying to make it a beer.

Back