SNPA clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myersn024

Reaction score
Has anyone ever brewed the SNPA clone from Austin Homebrew and how close is it to the real thing? I've wanted to try SNPA for a while, but none of the local beer stores have it so I ordered the kit yesterday. I went with the dry yeast option since it is way too hot to be shipping liquid yeast and I need something that doesn't mind being a few degrees over 70 since I can only ferment at room temp (at least until SWMBO lets me get another fridge for brewing purposes only.....she'd have a cow if she came home to find my primary in the refridgerator).

SNPA has to be the most cloned US beer...probably because it's so good!

I'm trying to hold off drinking the rest of my SNPA clone until it's properly aged...I've got less than 12 bottles left...*sigh*.

Let us know what Austin Homebrew's recipe is...

I've heard that it is good, which is why I bought the kit without ever actually trying any. I'll let everyone know what the recipe is once I get it. I forgot to post above that I bought the mini-mash version. This'll be my first try at anything other than extract only.

The mini-mash looks like steeped grains to me. Do you have a grain bag? If not, how are you going to do the "mash"?

This recipe came from a conversation with an SN brewer, purportedly.

Sierra Nevada PA from SN

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

10-A American Ale, American Pale Ale

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 54
Min Clr: 5 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 11.00 Wort Size (Gal): 11.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 24.03
Anticipated OG: 1.057 Plato: 14.10
Anticipated SRM: 13.2
Anticipated IBU: 32.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 1.25 Gallons Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 12.25 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.051 SG 12.72 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
86.0 20.67 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 82.23 3
14.0 3.37 lbs. Crystal 60L America 73.58 60

Potential represented as % Yield, Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.73 oz. Magnum Whole 14.00 20.2 60 min.
0.92 oz. Perle Whole 8.25 7.6 30 min.
1.83 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 4.6 10 min.
3.67 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Water Profile
-------------

Profile:
Profile known for:

Calcium(Ca): 0.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 0.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 0.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 0.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 0.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 0.0 ppm

pH: 0.00

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 24.03
Water Qts: 29.11 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 7.28 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.21 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 153 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 15
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume Gal: 9.20 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Exo said:
The mini-mash looks like steeped grains to me. Do you have a grain bag? If not, how are you going to do the "mash"?

I've got a muslin grain bag left over from a brew that I thought I needed it for.

I ordered the SNPA AG kit from Austin HBS the other day. It'll be here on Wed. This will be my first AG attempt. Wish me luck! I've done four Austin HBS partial mash kits, with very good results. I used a five gal. cooler/ MLT. Just today I built a ten gal. cooler/MLT for the upcoming AG. I'll use the five for a hot water sparge tank.

Just dry hop any ale with some dirty underwear inside of a dirty sock for about 3 months and youll get thr right amount of hop flavor.

I got the stuff from UPS yesterday. I don't have the instructions in front of me right now, but here's what I remember.

6 lbs pale extract
2.5 lbs 60L
1/4 lb of something else (probably 2-row, i can't remember)
4 oz malto-dextrin for body
pearle, cascade, and nugget hops all whole (i don't remember the hopping schedule either)

After reading the instructions, the AHB mini-mash sounds a lot more like extract with steeped grains to me. If there isn't any 2 row in the grain bag, I'm going to get some before I begin brewing and add it in and do a real mini-mash with a sparge and the whole deal.

Ive been drinking alot of SNPA lately. Johnny Corinos has it on special. .99 cent drafts, and you get to take a free SN Summerfest pint glass home with you.

I may give this one a shot here soon, its starting to grow on me.

Ok. Here's the recipe.

Mash 2.5 lbs 2 row and .25 lbs 60L for 45 minutes at 155.
Once boiling add:
- 6lb pale extract
- .25 lbs malto dextrin
- 1 oz. Nugget for 60 minutes
- .5 oz Pearle for 15 minutes
- 1 oz Cascade for 5 minutes
- dry hop with .5 oz Cascade

Suggested yeasts are WL-00002, Wyeast 00033, and Nottingham dry yeast. I went with the dry yeast since it is too hot to ship liquid yeast in texas right now.

Nottingham will do a great job. Looks like a good recipe!

Be sure to turn the heat off when your adding the extract. Will prevent boil-overs and the dreaded (and over-rated) carmelization.

ive made this recipe before but minus the nugget and used 1.5 pearl 60 mins 1 0z cascade 15 mins 1 oz 5 1 oz dry hop, I am drinking it now after 4 days in bottles and its primed and delicous, I imagine the hops will chill out a bit after a couple weeks in bottles but Its very tasty nontheless

o that was a 23 ltr recipe 5 canadian gallons hehe

sheephrdr said:
ive made this recipe before but minus the nugget and used 1.5 pearl 60 mins 1 0z cascade 15 mins 1 oz 5 1 oz dry hop, I am drinking it now after 4 days in bottles and its primed and delicous, I imagine the hops will chill out a bit after a couple weeks in bottles but Its very tasty nontheless

o that was a 23 ltr recipe 5 canadian gallons hehe

I'm glad to hear that your turned out good. I was starting to get a little worried since my IBUs per Promash are around 65. That is a lot compared to what Sierra Nevada says their pale ale has which is around 35. But I checked your recipe and it came in at about 60. So, I might be a little more bitter but we're in the same ballpark.....and I like hops so everything should be fine.

I racked to secondary today after 6 days in primary...I couldn't wait any longer. SG at the time of transfer was 1.012 which is .002 lower than what the recipe expected. I checked Nottingham's website and they expect their yeast to finish at 1.008 so it may get better still. I tasted the green beer and it was pretty damn good, a far cry from the burnt taste that I thought I tasted directly after brewing. I'll let everyone know how it turns out at bottling time.

Back