Hops in South Carolina

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrew4me

Reaction score
I know that SC is hardly the place to grow hops (just shy of the recommended 35 degrees--40 by some recommendations--latitude) but I'm giving it a go, none the less.

I've had two rhizomes (one Mt. Hood and one Nugget--the two which seemed to be the best choice for a hot and humid climate) in the ground for just over a month now. The Mt. Hood took off nearly instantly, but the Nugget are not doing as well. Although, the Mt. Hood rhizome already had quite a few nice buds and roots well formed upon arrival; the Nugget just looked like a bare root. Out of curiosity, I pulled the Nugget "stick" out from the ground and inspected it a few days ago. There were a very few spindly-looking roots forming off of the rhizome, so I replanted it with the addition of some fertile soil from my raised vegetable garden at a shallower depth.

The trellis I constructed is made of galvanized fence tubing with PVC (I think) electrical conduit tubing anchored in the ground with Quick-Crete. The 1-1/4" galvanized tube fits perfectly into the PVC tubing, allowing me to disassemble the structure when not in use. The total height is 13' 6"--plenty enough, in my opinion. The cross bar is more fencing material (2"), and the elbows are the pointed, cone-shaped connectors used at the ends of the fence (I'll provide photos if anyone is interested). The cross bar is 10 feet wide. I installed four eye bolts in the cross bar (a tricky maneuver which required a yard stick and some duct tape) for stringing the twine and drove wooden spikes nearly two feet into the ground and topped each with an eye lag. It is attached to the south-facing side of my house with hinged loops used for hanging pipes from industrial buildings.

As mentioned before, the "Mt. Hoodlings" are doing well and are nearly ready to be trained onto the twine. I still have hopes for the Nugget.

One thing I have notices is that the twine is already beginning to go slack. I just used basic twine, thinking that it would be sufficient for the first years limited growth. Next year I will order some of the proper hop twine.

I also fortified the soil with loads (pardon the pun) of cow manure and fertilize every two weeks with Miracle Grow.

Happy hopping!

I've found that there is a growing number of homebrewers in the SC coastal area--I thought I was the only one until about three years ago. Luckily, I'm near Savannah, where we have a great brew pub where the regional homebrew club can meet. We have had a few local competitions, and I'll be taking classes to be certified through the BJCP starting next month.

Exciting stuff!

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers!

Hello from Beaufort,also growing some hops,cascade and nugget,two of each all up 4-12 inches,hope they maake it.We have a small local brew club if you are interested.Growing number of brewers in the area.:mug:

Yes! Glad to hear that there are a few more brewers in the Beaufort County area. We'll need to get together.

I'm sure we already share some common brewing buddies.

I grew hops in SC last yr before I moved to VA, they were rocking and rolling at the time of moving. I was in the upstate though so less humidity. I would say your fine though, there are guys on here in Fla, GA, Bama and other more southern and equally humid places growing hops.

It's interesting to know that there are more than a few who've grown hops in the the south. Ol' Charlie P. claims that hops will grow nearly anywhere in the continental US, though it may be more work for some. Heck, it's usually a challenge to grow a decent tomato in my area. I'm anxiously waiting with anticipation to see just how well my hops do the first year.

If they fail, it won't be for a lack of attention. I'm watering and doting over those little roots as if they were one of my own. lol

Funny. I chose Mt. Hood and Nugget 2 years ago. They are doing great. I'm hoping for a big crop this year after making some changes based on last year. I am out at New Riverside (near Palmetto Bluff) in Alston Park. If your nugget doesn't take, I'll give you a good chunk next year.

Just wanted to update ya'll if any of you still read this post. I'm in the Anderson SC area (Upstate) and I planted Cascade, Columbus, and Centennial, all have sprouted and grown, but the cascade have really shot up for a first year, they are probably 20 ft high. Just starting to bud.

I'm in duncan, sc between Greenville and spartanburg. I planted 7 varieties three years ago. While all have survived and produced bines only chinook and cascade have produced cones, quite a lot actually. I had more than me and my home brew friends could use. This year I am getting cones on centennial and williamette as well. I have hope that I will get a few Golding as well.

I just moved to Greer and I am looking into home brew clubs. A couple of guys I work with are getting into brewing, so that gives me hope. Any clubs out there I can join?

I am also trying to grow some wild hops I found in upstate NY with help from guys on this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/so-you-want-breed-your-own-hops-464503/

What has your harvest looked like recently? Any pictures?

I just moved to Greer and I am looking into home brew clubs. A couple of guys I work with are getting into brewing, so that gives me hope. Any clubs out there I can join?

upstate brewtopians and brew stooges are both good. brewtopians just met this past saturday at southern growl. If you haven't been there yet, it's awesome 70 beers on tap

I do enjoy the southern growl. Nice place, great beer.

The harvest this year is a whopping 0oz. Maybe next year.

From Darlington SC
Going to start some hop growing this month as soon as my plants arrive.

I have some second year plants in Columbia Lexington area. Got a few oz last year with first year plants I thought that was pretty good. My centennial didn't produce last year though. We'll see this year. Got my plants getting afternoon sun on the side of my house. Also Columbia was built over Hell so if I can do it y'all can. Lol

Back