All Grain Mash Supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yin_Yang

Reaction score
what do you need, at MINIMUM (trying to save money, and with links to DIY projects to make your own, to make an all grain batch (other than ingredients). Still trying to see if i want to go all grain after being gone for a long time, or just do PM first to get myself used to the process again.

**The title was meant to be: All Grain Supplies.

Along with the boiling, you will also need something that can handle boiling at least 6.5 gallons of wort in a reasonable time (not your stove-takes too long). I started on my stove and it took about 8 hours to do a 5% batch, and with propane, I can get that same AG batch done in under 5 hours.

I just dropped $525 on a 15 G pot w/ ball valve and thermometer, wort chiller, grain mill, tubing, aeration system and various and sundry other things. It's a ridiculous amount of money but I figure this should hold me for awhile since I'm anxious to try the all grain thing. I made my own MLT with the directions on this board.

Good Luck
Al

JHC that's a pile of money to drop at once for AG! I guess I am torn between buying right the first time, and "wading in". I kind of took the wading in approach for the first 6-8 months of AG brewing. I ended up with two converted coolers (34 and 70 qts), two turkey fryers with pots, and all sorts of other "stuff". When I finally got serious enough to build my 2 tier pyramid setup, I was able to sell off some of the stuff to another brewer just getting started, and cannibalize the fryers for parts. I was also lucky enough to have a source of decommed kegs, so the 3 keggles were cheap. Other than the original 2 turkey fryer pots that come in handy once in a while, I don't have that much extra stuff from the "wading in" days. Here is a picture from a year ago after the welding was done.

BrewStand001.jpg

I just dropped $525 on a 15 G pot w/ ball valve and thermometer, wort chiller, grain mill, tubing, aeration system and various and sundry other things. It's a ridiculous amount of money but I figure this should hold me for awhile since I'm anxious to try the all grain thing. I made my own MLT with the directions on this board.

Good Luck
Al

Wables it is a lot of change but I figure this should set me up to do pretty much everything I need to do unless I decide to do the multi tier system like you have down the road. In the past, I've nickeled and dimed my way to the stuff I need but it is very frustrating because I'm constantly having to pay shipping charges on odds and ends. I always seem to need something else.

Regards,
Al

Back