Bottle Bomb in the Store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so he picks it up and one explodes, and he continues to carry it around?

darwin candidate, or savvy ambulance chaser...

Not to defend him but I think he noticed it leaking, so he picked up the 6 pack to take it to the back. Once he got there a bottle exploded and he got shredded.

To be honest I have NEVER had a bottle bomb, not store bought or homebrewed. Obviously its way more common for us at home to get a hold of one, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that this is a common situation like the micro brewery is saying.

How would you like to be the brewmaster at that brewery? Investigators are probably all over his butt. Maybe there will be a document shredding incident.

I don't run a comercial brewery, but I would think they have some significant quality control issues to deal with here. Hopefully this won't completely doom the brewery, but this is a problem just about every other professional brewery has been able to avoid.

Has anyone here ever experienced or heard of an exploding commercial beer? Honestly, I'm curious how common this really is?

The fact that this brewery says that it is not uncommon would have me concerned when purchasing any of their products in the future. It is pretty uncommon in the commercial beer market. That being said, it still does happen.

I had a bottle of Snoqualmie Falls Avalanche Winter Ale sitting at room temp on the bottom shelf of my bar. I was relaxing in front of the television when I heard a loud POP followed by the sight of beer flowing through the slats in the shelf onto the floor. Sure enough the 22oz. bomber had exploded. Luckily it didn't take out the bottle of Macallan 18 sitting next to it.

I mentioned it to the brewer at Snoqualmie and she was really surprised since they don't bottle condition their beers she said. They filter and force carb. It was almost as though she didn't believe me but I assure you, it happened.

After watching that video, I decided I better open the bombers of a friends beer that he gave me because I noticed the caps bulging. Glad I did, it couldn't been a disaster. Here's a picture of them sitting in my sink.

barrel 1 018.jpg

I don't run a comercial brewery, but I would think they have some significant quality control issues to deal with here. Hopefully this won't completely doom the brewery, but this is a problem just about every other professional brewery has been able to avoid.

Has anyone here ever experienced or heard of an exploding commercial beer? Honestly, I'm curious how common this really is?

Harpoon had issues with one of their 100 Barrel Series beers and had to take them off the shelves. They were trying to do some bottle conditioning and I think someones calculations or readings were off.

Back