Pear cider recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 109892

Reaction score
Just began my first hard pear cider.

Exact recipe isn't quite decided yet but here's what i have *planned* so far:

5gal motts apple juice. no preservatives only vitamin c added.
Wyeast 4766 cider yeast.
O.G. 1.049

Plan to rack to a secondary with 7-9 lbs of Bartlett pear halves in pear juice concentrate w no preservatives.
Test for flavor and sweetness and then decided on adding more pear flavoring or not and deciding to let it ferment out a little or not from there.

keg and enjoy.

suggestions, feedback?

I was wondering about that too. I was going to ask a) how 5 gallons were going to cover that much and b) what you were going to put 79 lbs into to rack onto.

Not sure how sweet/flavorful the pear juice concentrate is (or how much), but just remember that it'll be easier to add more then to take it out. Especially if you don't want it cloyingly sweet. Every time I think of canned fruit I just think of those super sweet and syrupy juices they come in. Wouldn't want it to overpower your cider.

I was wondering about that too. I was going to ask a) how 5 gallons were going to cover that much and b) what you were going to put 79 lbs into to rack onto.

Not sure how sweet/flavorful the pear juice concentrate is (or how much), but just remember that it'll be easier to add more then to take it out. Especially if you don't want it cloyingly sweet. Every time I think of canned fruit I just think of those super sweet and syrupy juices they come in. Wouldn't want it to overpower your cider.

Good point, prolly smarter to start with maybe 4 cans and taste it. then add more if i need to.

Any ideas how long it might take to really impart the flavor and how i could mix it up so i'm not taking a sample off the top or bottom where it might be concentrated?

Good point, prolly smarter to start with maybe 4 cans and taste it. then add more if i need to.

Any ideas how long it might take to really impart the flavor and how i could mix it up so i'm not taking a sample off the top or bottom where it might be concentrated?

Use a sanitized turkey baster.

Back