BeerTools Pro 1.5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
Ok just downloaded beertools pro demo and enter a recipe I will be brewing next weekend. It's from "brewing classic styles".

I just would like someone to look over the "schedule" part of the recipe and make sure I have entered in correctly. I followed Bobby M's video and hopefully got it right.

Thanks

[size=+2]Oktoberfest - Jamil Z[/size]
[size=+1]3-B Oktoberfest/Marzen[/size]
Author: Craig Janisch

Size: 5.72 gal
Efficiency: 74.6%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 182.61 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.055 (1.050 - 1.057)
|===================#============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.013 - 1.014)
|===================#============|
Color: 10.99 (7.0 - 14.0)
|=================#==============|
Alcohol: 5.4% (0.0% - 10.0%)
|================#===============|
Bitterness: 26.6 (20.0 - 28.0)
|=====================#==========|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
4.75 lb German Pilsner Malt
3.5 lb German Munich Malt
2.5 lb German Vienna Malt
.5 lb German CaraMunich III
1.75 oz German Hallertauer Hersbrucker (4.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
.5 oz German Hallertauer Hersbrucker (4.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
1 t Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15 min
0.04 L White Labs WLP820-Oktoberfest/Marzen Lager

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
Ambient Air: 78 °F
Source Water: 80 °F
Elevation: 365.76 m

00:03:00 Mash In - Liquor: 3.52 gal; Strike: 168.18 °F; Target: 154 °F
01:03:00 Sach Rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 150.8 °F
01:13:00 Batch Sparge - First Runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 150.8 °F, 0.0 min; Second Runnings: 2.43 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 5 min; Third Runnings: 2.43 gal sparge @ 200 °F, 5 min; Total Runoff: 6.89 gal

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.0[/size]

Looks good to me. Just like mine, except the numbers are different.

You do 2 sparges? Is the cooler too small to get the volume in two? Or do you find you get an improvement in efficiency? Or?

I just followed Bobbie M's video how how to setup batch sparging in the software. Plus my Mash tun is only 5 gallons and I didn't want to take the chance of over flowing it with only 2 running. Still playing with the software.

I use Beer Alchemy which is a great software but I am liking Beer tool pro better.

You do 2 sparges? Is the cooler too small to get the volume in two? Or do you find you get an improvement in efficiency? Or?

Doing two sparges of equal volume after the first runnings will give you a bump in efficiency. I'm averaging mid 80s.

If you look at Bobby_M's All Grain Primer, he'll talk about the how & why.

:mug:

Cregar- the process looks good. If I could recommend one change, it would be your boil time. With 4.75 lbs of Pilsner, you'll want to boil a bit longer to prevent any DMS. I usually calculate my boil to 75 minutes as a standard and add my bittering hops and start the boil timer after the hot break.

I agree.. 90 minute boil with the pils in there. That will increase your boiloff, and therefore the requirement of more preboil volume (if you kettle can handle it). It will have you sparge a bit more so make sure you go back in there and check out the volumes. Everything looks good only I'd increase the sparge infusion temps to at least 175, if not 180F. You want the last infusion to bring the temp up to about 168F.

If you look at Bobby_M's All Grain Primer, he'll talk about the how & why.

I'll have to give it a try. I've always taken Denny Conn's assertion that single or double sparge seems to make no difference for him at face value. Time for experimentation...

I'll have to give it a try. I've always taken Denny Conn's assertion that single or double sparge seems to make no difference for him at face value.

As long as your total sparge volume remains the same (and you don't oversparge), your efficiency will go up a couple points.

Latest posts

Back