Mail Order Frustration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayC

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So here it is, April 2nd, and I still have no word from Midwest Supplies about my rhizomes that I pre-ordered on Feb 27th. It seems everyone else has received theirs, or has at least been notified that they've been shipped.

On top of that, I ordered my first batch of kegs and related equipment off of Tom Hargrave's ebay store, which promised 2-3 days for an order to be sent, and 5-6 days for arrival. That was almost two weeks ago, and again, no notification of anything being sent.

Is anyone else having problems like this?

GO WITH REPUTABLE SELLERS.

No one on here talks about Midwest being good, hint hint. So don't order from them if the users here always complain about them too. Search the forums, check around, do your homework.

Hargrave must just employ himself and a one legged dog to do the shipping on those auctions. Plus he lists items that he does not physically have and then says he can ship immediately. He just puts up a front to get bids and then falls back on volume sales to mask all the negatives he gets for taking three weeks to ship stuff.

Stick with Austin Homebrew Supply, great place if you don't have local HBS.

Research, research, research.

I've never had a problem with Midwest. They usually ship here to middle Illinois in 2-3 days, and I haven't had a problem with quality. I also haven't ordered rhizomes, so about that, I am unable to comment.

Midwest is great, never had a problem with them. Did you try giving them a call?

BrewFrick said:
GO WITH REPUTABLE SELLERS.

No one on here talks about Midwest being good, hint hint. So don't order from them if the users here always complain about them too. Search the forums, check around, do your homework.
Stick with Austin Homebrew Supply, great place if you don't have local HBS.

I've had nothing but EXCELLENT service from Midwest. (hint, hint!) I don't see a lot of complaints about them around here, in fact I'm not sure I've seen any. They are in every way, a reputable seller.

I'd suggest buying rhizomes from actual hop growers, not from mainstream HBS mail order shops, who are merely acting as middlemen.

Yeah man...what's with the Midwest bashing?? I've had nothing but great service from them. Even being a difficult customer on a few orders (changing the order several times, changing ship to addresses, etc) they've been nothing but helpful. I think you need to do the research BrewFrick.

I have the same problem with Tom Hargrave. I ordered quite a while ago and haven't gotten my stuff yet. I sent him another email on Monday morning, but didn't get an answer (not that I honestly expected one). If I don't get an email tonight I will call... I originally needed the stuff by this weekend but I guess that's not gonna happen. :mad:

MikeFlynn74 said:
You know I had nothing but trouble when I was ordering wives this way
Make sure you specify "signature required" when ordering wives, you don't want the driver to just leave them on your doorstep. And get the extended warranty.

I have ordered from MW several times and everytime they shipped 48 hours after my order was placed and it arrived in WI the next day. No problems & great service.
I also use NB and they ship in 24 hours and I have it the next day too. Also great.

BlindLemonLars said:
Make sure you specify "signature required" when ordering wives, you don't want the driver to just leave them on your doorstep. And get the extended warranty.

I'd really suggest that you not buy a wife online anyway.

MUCH better to lease, so that you can get a new one in three years.

the_bird said:
I'd really suggest that you not buy a wife online anyway.

MUCH better to lease, so that you can get a new one in three years.
Nothing wrong with trading up every few years. Just stay away from the rentals, I hear they're abused.

We're talking about cars, right?

Whether leasing or buying, make sure you spring for the optional remote.

digitalwife.jpg
wife_remote_control.jpg

Rhizomes were waiting for me! Double-checked email, and I never did get a tracking #, not even in my junk folder. Oh well, the rhizomes are more important than the tracking number.

I picked up my wife locally, the shipping from the mail order was pretty expensive, and I wasn't sure that freshness would be guaranteed. The last thing you need to do is pay shipping to return a wife that skunked from spending too much time in delivery, especially if it's an import.

I ordered a few recipes worth of grain and yeast from Austin homebrew on monday afternoon and it has yet to be shipped...

i was hoping to get it by the weekend for some brewing, as my orders from Austin usually come nice and quick. Guess theres always next weekend.

I got a hold of Tom this morning and he said that my order was shipped last night. So hopefully I will have all my stuff early next week. We'll see how that goes.

just ordered a 2 keg kit from tom. It took a few days longer than expected but it was quality stuff and the cheapest I found. Besides my beer needed to age a little longer anyway. Patience is key.

All's well that ends well. Midwest got my rhizomes to me, and I asked Hargrave for a refund and he sent it to me via Paypal without complaint. I understand being patient, but the kegs I ordered were described as "available" on ebay. Available doesn't mean 'waiting for kegs from supplier' to me. But, while he may lose some points for punctuality, I have to give him some points for professionalism since he gave the refund without any griping.

Back