Is scorching an issue with 5500 watt ripple elements?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you had scorching while recirculating the mash? BIAB, 5500 Watt Ripple Element.

• Yes, I have had some wort scorching during the mash.

• No, I have not had any wort scorching during the mash.

Results are only viewable after voting.

The_Bishop

Reaction score
I need to ask a question outside my build thread.

Has anyone here had a scorching issue with a 5500 watt ripple element while recirculating *the mash* during a BIAB brew? Rig will be PID/SSR controlled.

I'm not talking about the bag, I know enough to keep that off the element. In fact, I'll probably go with a basket soon enough. I'm talking about maintaining mash temps, and ramping up to mashout.

Thanks.

I use the new camco 5500w 02965 all stainless steel element from brewhardware.com. Was even able to bend it to fit my brew kettle. Combined with an inkbird temperature control and contactor I'm able to keep temps really close to where I want with no scorching.

I use the new camco 5500w 02965 all stainless steel element from brewhardware.com. Was even able to bend it to fit my brew kettle. Combined with an inkbird temperature control and contactor I'm able to keep temps really close to where I want with no scorching.

After some scorching with my current "foldback" 5500w element, I've been looking at the ripple ULWD elements, but they're too long for my kettle (using a HotRod heat stick from Brew Hardware). How did you bend yours? What size is your kettle?

Updated the original post to more accurately phrase the question.

Keep it on topic, please!

After some scorching with my current "foldback" 5500w element, I've been looking at the ripple ULWD elements, but they're too long for my kettle (using a HotRod heat stick from Brew Hardware). How did you bend yours? What size is your kettle?

I used the combination of a tubing bender and brute force (applied carefully). My pot is 14" across. I've bent 2 of these elements without ruining them. One I bent twice because I forgot to put the hotrod threaded holder on before bending it the first time.

element.jpg

bender.jpg

I use the 5500w ripple in my kettle and I haven't scorched wort. However, if you fail to clean all the crud off the element after each brew session, you will get a layer that will burn and you will taste it in your beer. Clean the element and you are good!

I have the ripple element in my eBIAB setup. Even with a little buildup on the element, which by the way is unavoidable, I have not experienced scorching or off flavors.

I have the ripple element in my eBIAB setup. Even with a little buildup on the element, which by the way is unavoidable, I have not experienced scorching or off flavors.

Is it the biab part that causes the buildup somehow? I get a light brown film on my 4500w ripple but it wipes off easy enough when cleaning with a green scotchbrite pad. No unavoidable buildup for the next brew here..

Just like any other brewing method, the very finest of flour particles fall down from the mash and can settle on the element. Whether it's a problem during the mash is the mystery that I suspect is based on how hot the element is allowed to get and how many times, etc before the bag is removed and more currents help to clear the dust before the boil.

I get a little light brown buildup on my boil element. Cleans off with a light wipe or sprayer or PBW soak.

Same here on my boil element. I cant even really see it till it drys and turns light brown..... I get no buildup at all on my rims element which must be due to the constant movement or extreme low watt density..

I have a 5500w element in my boil kettle. I've never scrubbed the element with anything. The light brown coating is just there, never thicker, never thinner. Is it rust? Dunno, don't care. Figure it's probably better to not touch it. For $27, I can just get another element of I have to. Boils 7 gal of wort at 45% duty cycle, real beast. .

I find that the layer on the element is readily wiped off if you attend to it immediately after I've drained the kettle. I also know a local pro-brewer that uses electric boiling and he didn't clean his elements for a long time. When all of his beers came out with a smoke note, he finally realized that he needed to clean them. Hasn't had the problem since.

Clean your element!

I have a 5500w element in my boil kettle. I've never scrubbed the element with anything. The light brown coating is just there, never thicker, never thinner. Is it rust? Dunno, don't care. Figure it's probably better to not touch it. For $27, I can just get another element of I have to. Boils 7 gal of wort at 45% duty cycle, real beast. .

Yuck! Clean that thing! Heck, a PBW soak alone will chew most of it off.

I use the 5500w ripple in my kettle and I haven't scorched wort. However, if you fail to clean all the crud off the element after each brew session, you will get a layer that will burn and you will taste it in your beer. Clean the element and you are good!

+100 on this. Make sure your element is clean after each brew..you will know that crud when you see it as it will start to flake off and float around in your wort or strike/sparge water..nasty stuff.

As a late followup, my first brew in my new E-BIAB setup showed no scorching, even with 12-13% of the grist being rye. Not even a hint of it.

The past few brews I've started heating for a min or so while stirring to bump back up a few degrees, no issues at all.

Back