Rice Hulls?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe028

Reaction score
Both brew stores nearby are out of rice hulls. I'm brewing up a hefe with 6lbs of wheat and 4 lbs of pilsner today. Anyone have any tricks to make my sparge go a little smoother? I've never not used rice hulls with wheat beers...am I in for some trouble?

I've never used rice hulls for hefes. I've had 70% wheat as well. I use a copper manifold, I heard it's pretty much needed for the braids though. I'm actually doing a dunkel hefe today, heating up my strike water right now. No rice hulls, 65% wheat.

Yeah my cooler has a SS braid, so I guess we'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll figure something out. Enjoy your brew day, I'm about to open the flame for my strike water.

I've got some pvc (not cpvc) that I used for a blow-off...Could I cut some holes/slots in that? If I removed my SS braid and used the slotted pvc instead (similar to the copper manifolds that people have), would that be better? Or too much work, just use the braid?

Joe028 said:
I've got some pvc (not cpvc) that I used for a blow-off...Could I cut some holes/slots in that? If I removed my SS braid and used the slotted pvc instead (similar to the copper manifolds that people have), would that be better? Or too much work, just use the braid?

I dunno, you might just try it. I've also heard people say even manifolds need rice hulls, but again, I've nevvver used them and I've done plenty of hefes.

DISCLAIMER: I do not take responsibility for stuck mashes :D :mug:

I don't use rice hulls for my hefe's up to 70% but I have drilled, not slotted manifold. I didn't have any problems with the braid doing 60/40 hefe's either so I think you'll be ok.

I wouldn't use PVC for a manifold, the hot water of the mash can extract chemicals from the plastic. Your braid should be fine I would think though. But as Ó Flannagáin said, I too am not responsible for stuck sparges. :D

I think I came up with a solution... I plan to drink slightly more homebrew than in a normal brew session, which should make up for any distress incurred from a stuck sparge. :tank:

If you do get one, which I did with my last wheat.... 80% IIRC, get a clean bucket, scoop the grain in there and mess with the braid/valve until it flows, then throw the grain back in and finish. (That's what I found to work anyways) I had a significant temp drop, but it was in between mashing and sparging so I don't think it mattered.

Back