Brooklyn brew shop kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tankedhank

Reaction score
As anyone used a Brooklyn brew shop 1 gallon home brew kit? They have instructions online that are divided into two parts. The second part is about priming, siphoning, and bottling but they are very unclear on the priming part. All it says is "heat equal parts water with honey or sugar in a pot" it did not come with any measured packets of priming sugar. How much would be needed to prime only one gallon of homebrew?

About 3 tablespoons of honey iirc.

The BBS kits are pretty popular. I got my start with one, did some 1 gallon kits with grain and yeast and hops purchased at the LHBS with recipes scaled using simple math and beercalculus - and a gram scale to measure hops, and moved up to 5 gallon batches and kegging. A good friend of mine often has many 1 gallon batches going at once.

You may enjoy this thread: 1 Gallon Brewers UNITE!

I highly recommend the short-for-1-gallon-batches autosiphon that BBS sells, and i also recommend getting a racking cane, if you have a local home brew shop or time to get one before you bottle.

I do one ounce of sugar with about a cup of water boil it for 30 seconds and hen when cool siphon into the pot you used to boil the water and sugar works for me.

They list the amount of honey needed as an ingredient at the beginning of the recipe. Pretty sure it is 3 tbs. I got started in all grain with their kits. I love them, think it is a great introduction to all grain brewing. All of their kits I brewed were very tasty, especially the everyday IPA which I now buy the ingredients for and brew using the recipe from their book.

I never figured out how their vorlauf procedure is supposed to work with less than 3 vessels. but BIAB is the better way to go with small batches or limited space anyway.

It's three tablespoons, I still use that amount but do my own recipes, just get the water and honey warm and swirl it.

There pot sizes are a bare minimum suggestion at best. But I still use a modified version of their sparge method and hit 70%

Good luck

Back