2 Days fermenting then move into 2nd fermenting vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poccie

Reaction score
We are a couple of Noobs, and before starting our third batch of no Boil Beer kit, we were advised by our local home brew supplier to, after 2 days of initial fermentation, move it off the yeast by transferring into another fermenting bucket and then do this again after letting settle for another couple of days, before transferring again for bottling. I have been checking these forums for over a month now and have seen no mention of anything like this.
The guy in the shop said we would definitely see a difference, peoples thoughts on this would be more than welcome, as we are not sure that this would be worth the effort.

I'm definitely in the secondary camp.

but transfering twice in 4 days? WTF.
Are you sure he didn't say weeks and not days?

We are a couple of Noobs, and before starting our third batch of no Boil Beer kit, we were advised by our local home brew supplier to, after 2 days of initial fermentation, move it off the yeast by transferring into another fermenting bucket and then do this again after letting settle for another couple of days, before transferring again for bottling. I have been checking these forums for over a month now and have seen no mention of anything like this.

You haven't seen mention of this on here, because, quite frankly, that's some of the worst advice I've ever heard.....

You don't move the beer off the yeast while it's still fermenting, unless you want stuck fermentations.

You determine when to rack (if you choose to) by taking two consequetive HYDROMETER readings over a three day period. If the gravity is the same, then it is finished fermenting.

I recommend folks don't even take their first one til day 12 and the next one on day 14 and then rack to secondary if you are choosing too.

Nowadays though, many of us don't secondary, and opt for a month long primary instead.

This is the most discussed topic on here, it has been readily covered. I suggest you read THIS thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic thread. Every discussion, question, answer, citation, etch is in that thread....

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

But definitely ignore that bad advice you were given. Often yeast doesn't even begin fermenting for up to 3 days, so why would you think of moving it before it even starts fermenting?

You want at least til fermentation is complete and then if you opt to secondary I still recommend you leave it in primary for a few more days- fermentation is not the only thing the yeast do, they will if we don't move the beer too soon, clean up the mess they made during fermentation, which can lead to off flavors.

Thanks for the advice, think all your advice has backed up what little idea we had.

Thanks for the advice, think all your advice has backed up what little idea we had.

Keep reading and asking questions around here. The stickies in the beginners and yeast forums are very informative, and there's tons of knowledgeable brewers around here who'll be more than happy to answer whatever questions you have. :mug:

Back