Damp detached garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I live in Buffalo and I have a detached garage. In the spring when the air gets warmer than the ground there is always a layer of condensation on the ground. I store lawn equipment in it as well.

I have a clean dry basement, but I brew near the garage. Am I best off to just keep lugging equipment back and forth rather than trying to store anything in the garage?

Moist and dark breeds mold.

Sounds like you garage is poorly ventilated.

That would be correct. The moisture is leeching up from the ground into the cement. I'd be willing to bet that's the case as I have the same problem in a detatched garage, and there is no ventilation because the previous owners sided over EVERYTHING. Windows, vents, etc..

You might be able to install a fan in one of those vents to get the air moving around, but it probably wont help against the moisture. Dont even bother with moisture control stuff, there's too much water to soak up.

I tend to leave the door open for a day or so and that helps, but I work from home so I'm not worried about theft.

Slabs soak up moisture from the ground - you'll likely never be able to combat the moisture. Slabs under houses have a layer of visqueen plastic sheeting to prevent the capillary movement of moisture thru the concrete. I doubt this is the case for your garage.

one option, albeit not practical, is to pour a concrete layer on top (2" or so, half an inch will just crack) with a layer of plastic sheet between the two.

Latest posts

Back