Is a 5 gal carboy big enough to...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rerobb

Reaction score
I brewed a brewers best wiezenbier kit last week, it primaried in a 6.5 gallon bucket. I bought 6 cans of tart cherries pitted and packed in water that I want to puree a little, and rack my beer onto for secondary.

My question is wether or not my new to me 5 gallon carboy is big enough for this, or will it foam like it did in primary?

I have never used a carboy, or racked onto fruit for secondary before, so not sure how much activity to expect from restarting fermentation from the sugars in the cherries.I do have another
6.5 gallon bucket Ale Pail I could use.
then my next two questions are how long for secondary, and will i need to add more yeast for bottling?

The kit came with Munich yeast.
Thanks,
Rob

Usually fruit kicks off a large, active, fermentation again, so more headspace would be in order.
You shouldn't have to add yeast at bottling unless you have a huge OG beer or secondary for months and months.
How long for secondary? Long enough to finish fermentation, with a gravity that is stable over at least a few days, and for the beer to clear if you wish. A fruit weizen likely won't clear at all without cold crashing.

Ok, thanks, I'll use my Ale Pail then. I was looking forward to using the carboy to see my beer being made, but don't wanna waste any good beer in the process.

I do a primary fermentation using 5-gallon carboys on the regular... but I think I'm in the minority here.

If you want to do it go for it but expect blowoff and use a blowoff tube!

I primary in carboys too (sometimes with blow off tubes, sometimes only airlocks), but the issue is going to be volume and type of blow off. The carboy would be at/beyond capacity with a 5 gallon kit+6 cans of fruit and fruit could clog a blow off tube and cause a major eruption. Of course trub left in primary would decrease the volume, but I doubt it would be enough.

You are right about the extra fruit additions. I didn't catch that in the OP. It'll be better if you use a larger fermentor for this sort of beer.

Latest posts

Back