Does it harm chilled beer to be brought to room temp then re-chilled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabetax

Reaction score
I have a kegerator that I normally keep stocked with 2 kegs. In warmer times (~75F in the house) it does double duty as a fermentation chamber for primary, but due to space constraints I have to remove the kegs and let them sit inside at room temperature. I feel it's college legend that bringing a chilled keg back up to room temperature and chilling it back again later will harm the beer. I can't find any logic in that legend, as long as the beer isn't getting past "conditioning" temperatures.

Is there any truth to this? Myth busted?

Your good. I had to do that with a few kegs when i needed to chill and carb some kegs for a wedding. When i re-chilled and it tasted just the same.

After a 6 day hiatus from the fridge, hell: they taste improved. Also, I over carbed them in a hurry with a janked up PSI and shaking, and warming them up got a decent amount of gas in the head space that I could vent out.

Back