Shoud I go to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genexxa

Reaction score
After 5 days of primary my brew indicate a level of 1.025 on the Hydrometer. I know that those hydrometer could be tricky but this is my first beer and this is the only thing I know.

Should I wait a little bit longer or go to secondary. and by the way there is no more bubbling action.

ty

If the log phase has stopped (highly active fermentation/off-gassing), then yeah you can take it off the cake and put it in secondary. There will be suspended yeast in the beer that will finish up fermentation over the next 10-14 days.

but don't you think that the 1.025 is a little high to move to secondary? and how may days the primary phase could be?

genexxa said:
but don't you think that the 1.025 is a little high to move to secondary? and how may days the primary phase could be?

That depends on your target gravity--very little fermenting happens in secondary, certainly not more than enough to drop your SG a few points. So if you're gunning for a 1.020, you might want to let it sit in primary for another day or two. If you're going for a 1.024, then you're fine to transfer. Personally, I usually let mine sit in primary for at least 6-9 days.

genexxa said:
What will be the effect of gravity on the final product? % of alcool?

Gravity is basically how thick the beer is. The sugar content effects the gavity. Thicker with more sugars. As yeast eats the sugar it becomes lighter, because the sugar becomes alcohol, and Co2, alcohol is thinner than water. It has everything to do with your alcohol content. If you had a 1.050 starting grav and a 1.025 finish your beer will be pretty weak. What was your starting Gravity reading?

Starting Grav - Final Grav * 105 = Alcohol by Weight * 1.25 = Alcohol by Volume

genexxa said:
Starting gravity was around 1.060

1.060 - 1.025 = 0.035 * 3.67 (Alcohol % by Weight)

3.67 * 1.25 = 4.59 % Alcohol by Volume...

You have a 4.6% ABV beer if you rack now... Give it some more time in the primary, there's still fermentation going on.

Yeah, I agree with Yeti--sounds to me like you want to let it go for a few more days.

Back