What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With 50 minutes of boil to go, and the mash tun clean, it's time to hang out with NORM!

2014-05-24 09.50.18.jpg

5.2 is perfect and where you wanna be. You let the sample cool to room temp first right?

Yes. It was actually reading just under 5.2 but slightly over the 68 degrees, do I found a converter online that said 5.2 on the money. Good to know. 5.2 is good. But I was shooting for 5.4, so need to be conscious of my calculations. If I get astringency this time, I can rule out mash pH and the crush (LHBS crushed this one and the volauf was much easier). This is also a recipe I had luck with as a BIAB, so recipe is also ruled out as a problem.

I'm optimistic. This has been a flawless brew day thus far.

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

Go to how you Brewin... Loved their coffee, or get a donut from shore good, i wanna go back as you can prolly tell

Coff as i heat up some mash water

Going to the beach with beers. And gonna grill up a skirt steak later this afternoon. Boom.

Having water as I still have a bit of a headache from drinking yesterday.

Still milking the Norm and enjoying the smoke. Just started chilling the wort. Easily the most pleasant brew day of my young career. 7:00am Saturday brews are my new routine.

Nicest morning I can remember outside of camping. Might go fishing later.

Whoa. Need to stop bragging on the perfect brew day until this girl is in the ferm chamber. Narrowly averted a total loss during chilling.

I told you they have the recipe but make 100% sure it's right. They had it scaled wrong and within I made mistakes with my first all grain, it still wouldn't have been right. ABV is not 7% as their recipe shows. Talk to tony if he is there.

Getting a later start than I had hoped...coffee and steak, egg and cheese McMuff.

I'm concerned about the fermentation temp on the Scotch Ale...I think I'm going to wait. For the sake of time, I think I'm going to go to the closer option and try and figure out a wheat/rye something...maybe something using US-05. I might need to look into rigging some kind of insulated can that I can add water/ice packs to for the Summer. I've seen the chest freezer/mini fridge with different controls added...but I'm not very electrically inclined. ;o)

Getting a later start than I had hoped...coffee and steak, egg and cheese McMuff.

I'm concerned about the fermentation temp on the Scotch Ale...I think I'm going to wait. For the sake of time, I think I'm going to go to the closer option and try and figure out a wheat/rye something...maybe something using US-05. I might need to look into rigging some kind of insulated can that I can add water/ice packs to for the Summer. I've seen the chest freezer/mini fridge with different controls added...but I'm not very electrically inclined. ;o)

Scotch Ales were one reason I moved from BIAB to a tun. Don't you need to do a decoction mash to make a proper Scotch?

Scotch Ales were one reason I moved from BIAB to a tun. Don't you need to do a decoction mash to make a proper Scotch?

I did a couple decoction mashes while doing BIAB (although I mashed at the normal ~1.35 qt/lb instead of the thinner typiy BIAB ratio).

I could see a decoction working well, but with Scottish ales I thought most folks boiled yhe first runnings long hard and separately to get super melanoidin formation. And a splitting runnings would be hard with BIAB.

I didn't see decoction mentioned in the few recipes I looked at, but I'm still a newb and a really good recipe might? I know I've seen either longer boils or removing a gallon of wort and boiling it down separately, then adding it back later. Anyway, moving towards the wheat/rye/us-05 thing...maybe Cascade, Hallertauer, and Citra with a lemon zest secondary. Similar to a (Pete's Wicked Summer?)

Still on the coffee...love Hello's coffee mug!

I didn't see decoction mentioned in the few recipes I looked at, but I'm still a newb and a really good recipe might? I know I've seen either longer boils or removing a gallon of wort and boiling it down separately, then adding it back later. Anyway, moving towards the wheat/rye/us-05 thing...maybe Cascade, Hallertauer, and Citra with a lemon zest secondary. Similar to a (Pete's Wicked Summer?)

Still on the coffee...love Hello's coffee mug!

I'm a noob, too and am just today doing my second non-BIAB all grain. I'm just spouting things I've read. A Wee Heavy is definitely in my future.

Norm 2.0. With my modified ice bath chilling set up, I've gotten my wort to 80 degrees in under 40 minutes. Is an immersion chiller still worth it if I can do this?

Four pack G'Knight. Enough to get 4 teenagers drunk. It's weird walking into the beer store and they greet you with "good morning"

Edit: I vorlauf the sparge.

Norm 2.0. With my modified ice bath chilling set up, I've gotten my wort to 80 degrees in under 40 minutes. Is an immersion chiller still worth it if I can do this?

It would be down to 70 in 20 to 25 minutes in the summer, less in the winter. I think its worth it

It would be down to 70 in 20 to 25 minutes in the summer, less in the winter. I think its worth it

I don't mind the extra time...I have to finish my cigar, after all. But is there any befit to the beer to cooling faster than I do? One reason I brew is that I feel I rush around my whole life. This morning was awesome because I took it easy...and slow.

Still drinking Norm (Fuzz has converted me). Getting cocky on this brew day. About to try something new. I have a 100 milicron biodeisel filter. Think I'm going to poke a few holes in it and filter out my trub with it as I transfer. Autosiphon is not an option, as I noticed some crud growing in the tube.

Yeast is pitched and fermenter is in bed. Filter did not work... Oh well, all trub in the tank. There wasn't much anyway. Missed OG by a littl but I'm not going to get worked up over that. It'll be a 4.5 ABV grass cutter (I only expected about 4.8 ABV). Pretty good day. Now to shower and go drink some A&W at some crappy all you can eat pizza buffet that my boy lives.

I can likely spare an igloo cooler I use as a swamp cooler. I need to put dual stage temp control on my damn ferm chamber. It's swinging too much.

For those who use hop spiders and fwh do you just let the runnings go right into the hop spider?
I do.

Radler. Yard work done. Walked doggie a few miles. Now about to clean the garage. I'm a dirty filthy girl and not in the good way. It should really be no surprise why I'm single. :eek:

Why not do something that would benefit from the higher temps? I'm getting set to brew a saison here soon and temps in the 70s are perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

More of this. Good thing I have another can. So good.

Prepping 3 skirt steaks for the grill later today.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400954341.609180.jpg

My oaked RIS in a horrible glass my cousin's husband gave me. Absolutely horrible.

Niner nation.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400956283.713862.jpg

Why not do something that would benefit from the higher temps? I'm getting set to brew a saison here soon and temps in the 70s are perfect.

I don't really know much about the style, but that may be something I start researching now and try next. A bottle shop trim just might be necessary!

I don't really know much about the style, but that may be something I start researching now and try next. A bottle shop trim just might be necessary!

I wasn't a fan at first, but they've grown on me and they are great on a hot day in the summer.

Back