Single or Two stage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majikcook

Reaction score
Hey all, new to brewing and want to buy the right equip the first time. My brother brews a great IPA, but has a decent amount of sediment in each bottle. Would two stage have less sediment without losing the flavor as he claims?
Advantages to 2 stage?

Appreciate all comments

Two-stage would definately have less sediment, as you leave some behind each time you rack. I would love to hear the other advantages, too. I'm sure the flavor gets better if anything.

I use a conical fermenter brought over from USA to UK, it makes the job a lot easier just dumping the yeast out of the bottom. Any one use a conical?

richanne said:
Yes, and getting the wort off the yeast minimizes the chances for infection.

I'm curious what you mean. Could you elaborate?

I'm not familiar with any increased risk of infection from yeast contact, but I'd be very interested to hear what risks you know of.

Janx

Perhaps "infection" is going too far, but the main reason for racking into a secondary fermenter is to get your beer off the sediment (trub) which can produce off flavors. Clarification is also a benefit.
This is from All About Beer: "I imagine that you are already familiar with the layer of debris that collects at the bottom of a fermenter. This debris includes flakes of protein called "trub" (pronounced "troob") as well as dead yeast cells and other materials that precipitate from the beer. The positive flavor effects of secondary fermentation can be improved by separating the young beer from this debris. In commercial breweries this is done by simply draining the debris out of the bottom of the fermenter. To accomplish this at home, we must move the beer and leave the debris behind. As a result, it is common for many homebrewers to employ a second fermenter.
During secondary fermentation, the yeast reduces or removes certain undesirable flavor components (diacetyl, acetylaldehyde, and some sulphur compounds), thereby maturing the beer into a more drinkable condition."

You wait until the kraeusen drops back before you move to the secondary vessel, yes?

Once it is there, roughly how long do you let it mature before you bottle?

Ruy Lopez said:
You wait until the kraeusen drops back before you move to the secondary vessel, yes?

Once it is there, roughly how long do you let it mature before you bottle?
Till its done......LOL. well depends on what your making, strong beers take longer, high gravity beers take a little longer, leaving in the secondary, a little longer than needed dont hurt. All kind of factors should be concidered. Fermenting temp, style of beer, high alcohol content beers, You can always take a gravity reading before and after, but beware of contamination. There are previous threads on this discussion I believe, bottle to early you can have a grenade on your hands, or possibly a sweeter beer than desired. I am no pro by far, have only made about 40 batches or so, but there are some good literature recommended on some of these threads check em out. BREW ON

I keep an eye on my secondary until zero bubbles are coming out of the air lock then I wait for about 2 weeks after that before kegging or bottling. The advice about taking a gravity reading is a good one especially if you know where it should end up.

Back