Does that clove flavor mellow with time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just racked my hefe to the 2ndary (after 8 days in primary) and took a reading / drank the sample. Excellent taste and sweetness but the clove flavor is pretty pronounced. I don't mind but I don't want my guests asking "is this clove beer?".

Will the clove flavor diminish in the secondary and further diminish with bottle conditioning?

Is the yeast flavor most prominent at this stage?

You'll find that most of the classic tastes tend to mellow after a few months. What a shame...........:ban:

i added cloves to the maple pumpkin ale i brewed back in september/06
up until dec/06 i called it clove ale!
the cloves are just starting to mellow now

I bequeath onto this thread LIFE!

Anyway, so does Biermuncher did the Clove flavors ever diminish with time?

I have a scottish ale that I just bottled up that developed clove flavors once in the bottle. I believe it is the English ale yeast i used as it is only slight and mainly on the nose but it bothers me all the same.

I had this happen on a scottish 80 with WLP007 too (had it on hand and thought I'd give it a try), I've had the batch in the keg for about 2 months now hasn't faded a bit. Will probably dump it soon - not a good flavor in a Scottish Ale.

Will probably dump it soon - not a good flavor in a Scottish Ale.

No it is not. Well that is slightly disheartening. Perhaps I will try to blend it with another beer to mask the flavor, i really hate dumping a batch down the crapper

Yeah I just had 2 batches that are very weird and clove like. I left one sitting for 6 weeks and the dry hop kind of masked the flavor but its still there. That batch used almost a pound of hops for 5 gallons too so not sure how much it can be masked.

1 of my favorite tastees, but racking a hefe? SACRILEGE!!! does the clove flavor go away? it mellows a little, but never goes away. that's like asking hop flavor to go away from an apa. the colder it was fermented at, the more clove

Latest posts

Back