Hows my water look? dont really understand the water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I got this from the city of columbus but i am not sure what the values really mean when comparing it for brewing. everything is on (mg/L) or PPM

total alkalinity 44
noncarbonate hardness 75
total harness 120
Ca 38
Mg 6
Na 60
K 5
S04 128
Cl 46
F 1.01
N 2.6
PO4 0.52
pH 7.8
Chlorine-Free 1.5

If something looks off any ideas on additions? or switching to DI?

Pre thanks for your help

Check out this link. Plug your values in. See where you are in relation to the recommended levels. You have everything you need in that report.

Once you remove the chlorine that is about as good as brewing water gets. You'll need some acidification for pale beers, anything amber to brown should be fine, for very dark beers you need a little additional alkalinity (no where near as much as spreadsheets suggest).

The only problem is that the sulfate is fairly high. This is fine for most beers but you might want it lower for hefeweizen, bo pils, bocks and maybe a couple other styles. I have similar water and just buy RO for beers where I want low sulfate. Not worth an RO system as you will almost always be able to start with that water, and in many cases use it as is once the chlorine is removed.

RO has all the salts removed correct so i would need to add all the types of salts if i want to do a hefe (my fav style). Also you mentioned everything like a amber is fine but wouldnt i want it in the balanced not the very bitter?

Back