basic pale ale recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acyl

Reaction score
Hi. I have a bunch of maris otter sitting around that I want to use. My friend who gave it to me also gave me 5oz of both columbus and fuggle hops.

I've never did all grain before so I want to keep it simple.
I plan to mash 10lbs of maris otter for a hour.

Which of these hops should I use for my pale ale?

If you go with a more english style pale ale (with an english style yeast) maybe you would want to use the Fuggles. If you aim for a more american style pale ale (with US-05 or WLP001) you might consider using the Columbus. But those aren't rules, just an idea.

Have you looked in the recipe database here on HBT? Lots of good pale ale recipes. You might consider using some caramel/crystal malt with the Maris Otter - if you look through the recipes, you'll get some good ideas.

Cheers!

you could mash all the MO, then split it and do a SMASH with each and use S-04 with fuggles and S-05 with columbus

Thats what I'm doing currently is a SMASH. Im sparging right now and will use S05 and columbus with it.

I need tips for the hop addition. Should I add 1oz at the start and a 1/2oz last 10 mins then another 1/2oz at flame out?

that would be 2 oz total. which should produce a decent pale ale right? Or should I use more hops?

that should be good for an APA. you can always dry hop it later if you want more hop

Back