Accidental Cold Crash? - Do I need to repitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzlybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I came home after this weekend to find 4 carboys (all ales about 3-4 weeks in secondary) all sitting at 56-58 deg (prob at these temps for 4 days). The heat was not turned on and it got decently chilly inside.

The question is: at these temperatures, will I have issues priming and bottling as usual or do I need to pitch a bottling yeast? I'm hoping to prime and bottle with maybe an extended carbonating period.

...yet another reason to build a keezer and put my kegs back into action...

Thanks for the feedback

I'm no expert but there is no need to worry. The cold will only help clarify the beer at this point. If you are going to bottle within the next week, then I'd say keep them cold and raise back up to room temperature the day of bottling. I'm actually in the process of cold crashing my Irish Ale right now and will be bottling on Thursday.

I wouldn't re-pitch at those temps. There will still be plenty of yeast in suspension. The only time I've re-pitched an ale at bottling was when my beer froze solid by accident.

Back