Recipe suggestion for the Marine Corps Birthday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaGbyte

Reaction score
The Marine Corps was founded in Tun Tavern on November 10th 1775. Having faithfully served my country for 5+ years as a Marine, I promised my local barber (a former Marine himself) a batch of brew to celebrate #234. Now, although some of the fellows I work with _look_ old enuf to have been there on that glorious day, I have no real reference to they types of beer they may have consumed while drafting up the order.

Anyone have any suggestions and/or recipes to a brew that would be worthy of the label Tun Tavern Lager? I have not done any AG (only partial mash, adjuncts & extracts) so please keep that in mind when suggesting.

You WILL be suggesting, right??? (anything less than SIR! YES SIR! is not acceptable...)

Semper Fi,
-DaG

I think it is kinda strange how hard it can be to figure out exactly what people were drinking at a time and place in history. If you're willing to pay $25 this book might be useful. Chapter seven is "Brewing in Eighteenth-Century New York and Philadelphia". I worry a bit though because these books are often written for the drinker, not the brewer.

Poor Richard's Ale

* 4 pounds Light (Pale) or Extra Light Dried Malt Extract (DME)
* 2 pounds 6-row
* 2.5 pounds flaked corn
* 1.5 pounds Biscuit
* 1 pound Special Roast malt
* 1/8 pound Black Patent malt
* 8 ounces molasses (blackstrap is fine)
* 2 ounces Kent Goldings hops (30 and 15 minutes)
* English or Scottish ale yeast (Wyeast 1968 or 1728, respectively)

This is a reconstruction of a period tavern ale created for the 300th anniversary.

Alternatively, you could do a Duvel-style Belgian Golden Strong Ale and play on the word Teufelhund instead of Duvel.

Also, Tun Tavern Lager would be a bit of a misconception since they didn't brew lagers back then (at least intentionally).

Otherwise, david42's got the right idea.

Back