neverending fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GranillaNutz

Reaction score
well i did the bee cave hefe and couldn't get the wienstephan so i had to go with the wb06 yeast. i pitched on the 16th and that night had blowoff within 5 hrs. with at least a gallon and a half of head space. that week fermentation seemd to slow dramatically with only a half inch of krausen bubbling every 10 seconds or so. i had planned on bottling on memorial day, but noticed the fermentation seemd to have picked up. now it's the 29th and i've got about 3 inches of krausen, with no signs of infection and bubbles every second. :drunk: i've been told on other forums that some yeasts have several different strains in a packet? when one stops another one starts? is this true? i'm sure one day my beer will stop bubbling, but i don't wanna stop it before its thru. :confused:

You pitched on the 16th of May? Leave it be. If it is bubbling, it isn't done yet. Also, get a hydrometer reading at some point , and do it again a few days later to confirm the fermentation is done. Less than two weeks is far from a neverending fermentation!

I pitched someone the 18th and had a starting gravity of around 1.07. While fermentation never got major, it was going about once a second. Now its down to once every few seconds but has been like this for almost a week. My fermentation temperature is low though, near 62 degrees in the basement. People have been saying "low and slow" is the way to go! Just did a gravity check of it today. Down to 1.03 so should be coming up on it.

Latest posts

Back