Calibrating brew pot...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer to measure the depth with a tape or yardstick. It's easy to calculate a conversion factor for most any kettle. I know the volume beneath my false bottom and that constant is easy to figure in. You can fill the kettle with a known volume, measure the depth and back into the factor as a cross check. I don't worry about the ribs in the keggle and just assume it's uniform. Minor difference IMO. I always have a pocket calculator handy, so using the factor is very easy. I'm sure marking the inside of a pot would also work too, but I don't know how easy it would be to read the marks. A lot of guys use a marked off dip stick. Those are easy to make too.

I was thinking about filling it a gallon at a time...and center punching at each gallon...Inside or outside...?

The correct answer was...
Careful! A center punch can go thru a cheap alum turkey fryer pot on the first hit...
Gracias por nada...

I filled mine a qt. at a time and marked the level with a sharpie. Then I used a dull cold chisel to tap a short line at each qt. and a long line at the gallon points from the inside.

How about a calibrated stick? Pour the water in 1G at a time and once it settles, use a dowel rod and mark each gallon on the rod.

I filled mine a qt. at a time and marked the level with a sharpie. Then I used a dull cold chisel to tap a short line at each qt. and a long line at the gallon points from the inside.

+1 on this one. Personally i just calibrated my spoon. I notched in at each gallon/ 1/2 gallon line. When i need to see how much is in i just put the spoon in. I only do this for preboil up to the last 10 minutes. The scratches make nice place for microbes so for the carboys, i calibrated with glassetch. Works like a champ

Will these measuring marks be made to read hot or cold wort volumes collected? Final cold wort volume before heading to the fermenter marked on a stainless rule with hot wort marks on the opposite side of the same stainless rule.

Back