Carboy doesn't fit in a 5 Cu. Ft. chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juandefelix

Reaction score
Hi! I'm trying to find a chest freezer that can be used as a fermentation chamber, but I found that the carboy with the airlock is 27 inches tall. I thought that a 5 Cu Ft would be enough but the carboy is taller. Are there any 5 Cu Ft chest freezer taller than 27 inches height (inner dimension)?

Any other ideas?

1544d1177270107-first-time-lager-first-lager-01.jpg

Does anybody uses chest freezers? Anybody with the same problem as me? I've been checking the 7 cu ft chest freezers and they're still too shallow!

I have two carboys in a 7cu ft chest freezer and have to use a blowoff tubes, airlocks are too tall. Not a big deal at all.

Can you post a closeup of the top? Or a description?
Made mostly from stuff I had around. I took an old racking cane and cut it to a short "L" for the right angle bend. Stuck that through a single hole rubber stopper. My carboy came with a plastic screw on cap. I drilled a 1/2" hole in that and used it to make sure the stopper doesn't work it's way out. Probably don't need the cap to hold the stopper down, but sometimes when the rubber is wet, it just doesn't want to stay in place.

I have two carboys in a 7cu ft chest freezer and have to use a blowoff tubes, airlocks are too tall. Not a big deal at all.

Thanks a lot. So the use of airlock it's a common problem, not just for this specific freezer. I'll use the blowoff hose instead.

Thank you!

Perfect! Want to start lagering and would prefer to use glass, this is exactly the solution I was looking for!

Back