Homebrew shop in NY city?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeysab

Reaction score
I'm pretty desperate to find somewhere close to home to buy supplies, so I'll put this thread out, instead of PMing everyone from the NY/NJ area. I live in Staten Island, NY, and can't find a Hombrew shop close to home. I found a couple on Yellowbook.com that aren't open anymore, so a lot of good that does. I work in manhattan, so that would be good, and brooklyn and jersey would be some options too. Even if someone knows of an online store that's close to Ny and could deliver stuff in less than a week, that would be cool, too. Thanks for any help you guys could offer.

The only place I've found is Corrado's in Clifton, NJ. Its not really that close, and their selection is hit and miss.

I was afraid of this type of reply. How is AHS with their shipping? Anything less than a week. I ordered a bunch of stuff from Williams, didn't get a confirmation email or shipping notification. I had to call for a shipping number, and so far, it hasn't been updated this week by fedex. I know it's coming across the country, but 7 days is a long time to wait. Actually, this is the longest I've waited for anything. I ordered a bunch of stuff from NB, and it took 5 days. I have a batch waiting to be bottled, and I don't have sanitizer. Berserker, what's around in brooklyn, at least just to go pick up something in an emergency? Know any brewers in SI, I'm dying to check out an all grain brew day, to see if I'm ready for the switch from extract. Thanks for your help, fellas.

Buddy, I wish there was. There is nothing near here that I have found, and what is closest is CRAP!

I use AHS for pretty much everything.

This one?

http://www.brooklyn-homebrew.com/Brooklyn_Homebrew/Home.html

There is also this - http://brooklynbrewshop.com/

AHS, Midwest and Norther Brewer is where I order from. I ordered from NB on a Monday and got it on a Saturday thats the fastest I've gotten it with regular shipping. You should order a few kits at a time to save on shipping and with reputable online stores you will get the freshest ingredients since they have a high turnaround. It takes 4-5 business days since the package is shipped to get from Midwest region to Brooklyn.

I just order online nb,rebel,midwest I prefer flat rate its what i would spend driving somewhere to find a place, I have never bothered to look hard enough.

There really is not much in the NYC area. There are a couple of shops on Long Island, but none are that great. I've considered opening a shop myself, however in NYC and the surrounding areas, the rent is very high, and the margin on such items is relatively low, and the market is growing, but still small. It would be difficult to turn a profit in this area. Bummer. If I was more knowledgeable about homebrewing, I'd give it more thought, but I'm afraid I couldn't do it on my own.

If anybody in NYC or LI who is an experienced brewer would consider opening a shop with me, give a shout!!

The brooklynbrewshop doesn't seem like it's too good. Brooklyn homebrews website lists what they sell, which isn't that bad, in a pinch. Definitely nowhere near the amount of equipment, or ingredients as Northern, or williams. i've checked out rebels website, and it looks pretty good. NB took 5 days to get to me, which isn't bad. Guess us NYC guys are tied to ordering from the web. Thanks for the help guys. Anybody got an all grain brew day coming up? I'm looking to check it out and see if I'm willing to make the switch yet.

Wow, too bad LeBron isn't a Homebrewer.... we could guarantee he'd never leave Cleveland for NYC! We have some nice LHBS's around these parts!

Corrado's gets alot of critism but they DO have a decent amount of stuff there nowadays. They may be a bit higher priced then the online stores but in a pinch you can find what you need there.
As for where to buy online if you live in the Tri-State area, you may want to read this.

Brewmasters Warehouse has the quickest delivery that I have found ..so far

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/morebeer-austin-homebrew-135433/

Cheers!

If anybody in NYC or LI who is an experienced brewer would consider opening a shop with me, give a shout!!

I am planning on opening my own nano-brewery in the Brooklyn area at some point within 2 years, and selling homebrew supplies would be a part of it, i promise you.

I have not visited the first one. the second one is basically a few people who have put together small 1 gallon kits they sell at local markets on the weekends. They really don't have much of anything, and there is no shop, just a stand on Sat and Sun.

I was afraid of this type of reply. How is AHS with their shipping? Anything less than a week. I ordered a bunch of stuff from Williams, didn't get a confirmation email or shipping notification. I had to call for a shipping number, and so far, it hasn't been updated this week by fedex. I know it's coming across the country, but 7 days is a long time to wait. Actually, this is the longest I've waited for anything. I ordered a bunch of stuff from NB, and it took 5 days. I have a batch waiting to be bottled, and I don't have sanitizer. Berserker, what's around in brooklyn, at least just to go pick up something in an emergency? Know any brewers in SI, I'm dying to check out an all grain brew day, to see if I'm ready for the switch from extract. Thanks for your help, fellas.

For places in Brooklyn, see above.
As far as AHS, I order from them plenty. Orders very frequently go out the day you place them, you get a tracking number minutes after they have one, and it comes fast and for a flat rate of 8 bucks. This past Friday, i ordered about 100 lbs worth of supplies for my next few batches. I had a tracking number by the end of the day, and it will be here tomorrow, for 8 BUCKS! That is 5 days including a weekend. And Forrest is a member here. He runs AHS, you ever have a problem, he WILL make it right.

For emergency supplies, I try and stay well stocked. If you ever need something last minute, PM me here, I'll try and hook you up. And if you want to check out an All Grain set-up, you can come over for one of my brew days.

Thanks, BB, that's sweet of ya. I watched an 8 part video series on an all grain brew day, but It's not like seeing it in person. Don't worry, I won't just stand there and watch, I'll help out if ya let me.

Corrados would have the sanitizer and other supplies. I'm still a kit brewer and one day I went in there and they were loaded with kits, and the next time there was slim pickings.. I found that AHS and Williams have had great kit prices and fresh ingredients. I just plan ahead and order before I need it.

Nobody wants to take the plunge and open a homebrew shop with me? Is the market too small in the NYC / Long Island area to support one?

I'd say so, foto, since I did a search on yellowbook for homebrew shops in NY, and the only stores that were even still open were upstate. There's literally nothing in this area. I thought manhattan would have a couple, but there were none......NONE. There were some that were closed down, but nothing that was open in manhattan. Brooklyn was just a couple of junk shops that might sell the basic necessities, but nothing that you could really rely on, or at least not more than an online shop. I've already faced reality and come to the conclusion that the internet is the way to go. I've ordered from northern, williams, and makebeer.net, and after scouring their websites and print catalogs, it's clear that that's the way to go. I just don't think there's enough participation in HBing to invest in a store.....unless you want to be a hero and get the total market in the area. If that's the case, I wish you luck, but there's gotta be no stores for a reason. either way, I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully you do open a decent shop and give us in NYC a place to shop. cheers, buddy.

i also live in staten island. been brewing for 2 years and have exclusively used online orders. Here are places i have used:
BREWMASTERSWAREHOUSE.COM= cheapest price for MOST things, particularly ingredients, pretty large choice of stuff, very cheap shipping (6.99/7.99 can't remember which), and real fast delivery. If Ed has the items in stock, they get to my house in 3 days, 4 tops (order very early Monday- received by Thurs latest). Only negative is at times (because of his great prices and fast delivery, and such a large amount of orders to fill), he may be out of stock of some things. However Ed always calls within a day if this is so and asks if you want to substitute things, or just send the stuff he has in stock now and the other stuff later, or just wait. In a nutshell, although i list this as a negative, his customer service is friggin excellent. I use this site for 90% of my orders.

MIDWESTSUPPLIES.com= very cheap prices, vast array of ingredients, adjuncts, etc. you name it, they seem to have it. Fast delivery also. Again usually in 3-4 days once it is shipped (order very early Monday- received by Thurs latest). Always seem to have stuff in stock. Only negative- shipping isn't fixed, so you could pay alot in shipping; however because of their cheap prices they are still cheaper to have it delivered that most other sites (with the exception of brewmasterswarehouse.com)

AUSTINHOMEBREW.COM, MOREBEER.COM, NORTHERNBREWER.COM= these 3 are also great providers, with a vast selection of ingredients, equipment, etc. All 3 have fixed shipping (6.99/7.99) but their prices are more expensive than the previous 2 i mentioned. shipping is about the same (3-4 days once delivered). Their stock seems to be full all the time also.

I have used all of them. All are great. again i use brewmasterswarehouse almost all the time but i still use the other 4 on occasion for particular items that ed might not carry. Either way you can't lose using any single one of them. I've also heard good things about rebel brewer though haven't used them. It seems delivery to us takes about the same time (3-4 days). I usually try to get the order in early Friday so it can go out no later than Monday and arrive at my house by Wed/Thu. Ordering early Monday may mean a Thu/Fri delivery depending on whether or not the provider can fulfill the order that same day (if in stock, quantity of orders they have to fill).

I hope this helps.

You could try the Brewers Apprentice in Freehold, NJ. About 40 minutes from Staten Island but they have a good selection of grain, hops, yeast, equipment, and recipes they will put together for you.

Take the outerbridge to the route 9 south exit off 287/440. Then get off route 9 and take route 18 south to the freehold exit. Will save you some time instead of parkway and 9 all the way.

If anyone can pull of a store it would be BB! He is a member of this community and knows the needs of brewers.

In my opinion the only way a local store can survive is have great selection at all times, great support and most important thing would be low prices. You have to compete with established online stores from day 1 if you want to succeed. There are not that many home brewers within the NYC area. There are probably more in Long Island, Upstate areas but not directly in NYC. NYC also has 8.875% sales tax. If you spend at least $100 at an online store with flat rate shipping you will actually be saving money at least on tax. Maybe I am lazy but I would always prefer to order one big order online and have it delivered than to spend time going to a store, paying taxes, lugging everything around.

For some strange reason, every time I'm near a homebrew shop, it's on a sunday, and they're closed. I was in Jersey yesterday, but a lot of good THAT did. mhot, do you do all grain, or extract? What part of SI do you live in?

I just started. I have my third Coopers brew in the fermenter right now. I also have a Williams Belgian Quad in the fridge, waiting for a 32 qt pot to boil it in. I want to do all Grain, but right now, I don't have money to buy the equipment. Wife isn't as enthusiastic as me. I'll stick with extract for now till I get some experience with fermenting, and yeast and malt characteristics before I make the move. I'm slowly building my arsenal of equipment, so by this time next year, I'll be doing all grain batches. I live in Great Kills, so if you ever need a hand, or wanna combine an online order to save on shipping, I'm here for ya.

Latest posts

Back