Noob Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luth34

Reaction score
Hey everyone, since I'm new here just wanted to say awesome site it has helped me a lot.

Im excited to start bottling my first batch tonight but the problem I have is that I only have about 30 bottles cleaned and ready to go. So my question is, would it be alright to mix the priming solution with the beer and then leave the leftover in the bottling bucket overnight until I have more bottles? Would it be better to wait until tomorrow night when I have enough bottles? Any help is much appreciated!

-Cameron

Hey everyone, since I'm new here just wanted to say awesome site it has helped me a lot.

Im excited to start bottling my first batch tonight but the problem I have is that I only have about 30 bottles cleaned and ready to go. So my question is, would it be alright to mix the priming solution with the beer and then leave the leftover in the bottling bucket overnight until I have more bottles? Would it be better to wait until tomorrow night when I have enough bottles? Any help is much appreciated!

-Cameron

Wait until tomorrow when you get more bottles.

It would be MUCH better to wait until you have enough bottles.

In a pinch you can use 2 liter pop bottles or you can start drinking very heavily tonight and polish off another case of beer bottles.

Wait till tomorrow, and get at least 60 bottles. When bottling my last batch, I was expecting 53 bottles, instead I required 63! The more the better!

Yea definitely wait. Don't rush into bottling.

I realize this info is late but to add some info for future benefit - if you mix your priming solution in now it will start fermenting and by tomorrow you will have lost some of that CO2 that should be carbonating your bottles. Probably not all of it but some so you would have very inconsistent carbonation levels...

Buy several bombers and that should help you alleviate some of the need for more bottles. 22 ounces and they're easy to fill/cap and stow away for months.

Hey thanks for all the help so far everyone! I went out and got more bottles today and currently am sanitizing them but have a couple more noob questions while doing this. is it ok to use screw top bottles and cap them like normal, or will these not work? Also, is it ok to take off the lid to the fermentor to use the auto siphon? I think that is all the questions I have for now, thanks in advance!!

-Cameron

Hey thanks for all the help so far everyone! I went out and got more bottles today and currently am sanitizing them but have a couple more noob questions while doing this. is it ok to use screw top bottles and cap them like normal, or will these not work? Also, is it ok to take off the lid to the fermentor to use the auto siphon? I think that is all the questions I have for now, thanks in advance!!

-Cameron

With a hand capper, screw on bottles will not work.

Of course it is ok to take the lid off to use the autosiphon, how else would you get the beer out? :D

It may be too late for this batch since you have already started, but you may find a lot of tips to make your next batch easier, here...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

Good luck and have fun!!! :mug:

Revvy thanks a lot for the quick reply, I guess first time jitters got to me a little bit! Bottling went well and was fairly easy, the auto-siphon is an amazing tool to have! I tasted the beer and it was surprisingly very good for my first try (pale ale). I had worries it may not be any good just because it was my first attempt. I am happy with everything and already have a recipe ready to brew tomorrow!

-Cameron

Glad it worked out. You may also find that if you have some help, and once you get your system down, it's easier to brew and bottle on the same day, since you can stagger the down times in each process. Your mileage may vary.

Back