My American SMaSH ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasszy

Reaction score
Just went into the boil pot:

6Lbs Liquid german pilsner malt extract
1.5oz centennial hops (leaf whole) 60 minutes
.25 oz centennial hops (leaf whole) 15 minutes

whirlfloc 10 minutes
yeast nutrient 10 minutes

safale US05 hedydrated and pitched!

We'll see how this turns our for a summer on the lawn kind of brew!

Cheers

Lucas

didn't go with the spalt, eh? that wouldn't have been as american, of course ;)

should be good, this is actually the first SMaSH i've seen with extract. i may have to try a partial mash SMaSH soon. i was also thinking of doing an extract SMaSH plus an all-grain SMaSH with the same base malt so i can see what this "mythological" extract twang is all about.

cheers
:mug:

Just pitched the yeast at 60F. OG was 1.042. A tiny bit lower than I would have expected, but still within range.

Now to see when the first airlock bubbles show up!

Relaxing with one of my Honey Camomile Wheats, and a Sierra Nevada Hop ale!

Cheers

Lucas

10 days later and the FG is a nice and low 1.009. Didnt expect it to go that low.

The taste has a hint of citrus and just a touch of bitterness. I think I like it already.

Cheers

Lucas

Down to one case of 22oz'ers and everyone loves this beer. The men, the women, even the kids (j/K)

Easy going down, nice and clean taste, I think that I'll make more!

Cheers

Lucas

didn't go with the spalt, eh? that wouldn't have been as american, of course ;)

should be good, this is actually the first SMaSH i've seen with extract. i may have to try a partial mash SMaSH soon. i was also thinking of doing an extract SMaSH plus an all-grain SMaSH with the same base malt so i can see what this "mythological" extract twang is all about.

cheers

Well two days ago, I decided to make this one again. This time I went with the spalt hops.

Heres what went into the pot....

6 lbs pilsner LME
1.5 OZ spalt 60 mins
.25 oz spalt 15 mins

Irish moss at 15 mins
yeast nutrient at 10 mins

Safale US05 rehydrated in warm water for 60 minutes

Went into the fermentation bucket and pitched yeast at 86F ( a bit warm) and had a gravity reading of 1.040, but that was with quite a bit over 5 gallons, probably 5.25.

First bubbles with the rehydrated yeast within 15 minutes.

Fermenting at about a constant 68 in the spare bathroom.

Cheers

Lucas

How'd this turn out?

Hate to be "that guy," but aren't extracts typically a combination of two or more grains, even the light variants? (ie: 2 row + Carapils?)

Nope. Pilsner malt extract is pilsner, light is 2-row, etc. Some of them are mixtures, however. I don't think you can get straight munich extract, for example, it always contains pale malt.

Northern Brewer has good descriptions.

Let me know how that Spalt SMaSH turns out!

I recall reading on the Briess site (damn if I can find it now), that their light DME was 2 row + Carapils, the Pilsen pilsner + carapils, the amber 2 row + crystal, etc etc etc.

Its no longer bubbling, but I havent had a chance to see if the FG is stable or not. I still want the yeasties to settle completely to the bottom of the bucket, as there is still a good amount of "stuff" on the surface of the beer.

Within the next two days I should be able to provide a better synopsis of how this one turned out!

Cheers

Lucas

I recall reading on the Briess site (damn if I can find it now), that their light DME was 2 row + Carapils, the Pilsen pilsner + carapils, the amber 2 row + crystal, etc etc etc.

You're right...they do add carapils:

Briess Malt & Ingredients Co.: Malt Extracts LME and DME

It's probably just a small amount to aid in head retention and mouthfeel. I wouldn't factor that in when doing a conversion to all-grain, but it is something to note.

The amber and dark extracts always have crystal and/or munich or something added.

SMaSH ale went into the corny for carbonating. 30PSI for two days at 38F and then down to 10PSI for another week.

Final gravity was 1.010, down from an original adjusted of 1.043 for a alcohol by volume of 4.3%. Perfect for mowing the lawn and hanging out with friends.

Lucas

Does Safale 05 compact real well? I've heard it end up being like cement after a few days, did you notice much sediment in your bottles?

Latest posts

Back