Expected OG 1.078 actual 1.092 Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunvfx

Reaction score
Hello I was brewing this recipe

4 lbs 6 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US
6 lbs Pale Liquid Extract
1 lbs 4.0 oz Munich Malt
1 lbs 4.0 oz Carafa II
13.0 oz Wheat Malt
9.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L

Per Beersmith at 72% efficiency I should have had 1.078 how the hell did I end up with 1.092?

Any help would be great. I am pretty bummed out right now.

Recipe is a scaled recipe of Turmoil CDA found here , I made a partial mashin from the all grain recipe. Original recipe is 5gal I did 5.5.

http://byo.com/component/resource/article/2072-birth-of-a-new-style-cascadian-dark-ale

The gravity and everything listed on the site is a bit different than what beersmith reflects, which is fine but beersmith is giving me 98% efficiency based on the current numbers which is BS.

Seems unlikely that you really got 1.092 in 5.5 gallons. Did you check your hydrometer?

what was the temperature when yo took the hydrometer reading? also, was there a lot of yeast or trub suspended in the sample?

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like this was the problem.

I waited, cleaned up everything after the brew day... then swished the fermenter around which had now been sitting for a couple hours and took another reading just a few moments ago.

the first sample after going back and looking at it had a ton of trub settled at the bottom -- i typically take OG before adding the yeast so no yeast in the sample.

lesson learned.

temperature was the same for both readings 68.

thanks everyone

Back