Champagne kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinper

Reaction score
I want to make some champagne , I did a search didnt find anything . any links to threads ,or a kit

vinper said:
I want to make some champagne , I did a search didnt find anything . any links to threads ,or a kit

I'd recommend getting a book on the subject.

From what little I know, you can use any wine to make "sparking wine". You let the wine ferment in a champagne bottle upside down. The sediment then forms a "plug" in the neck of the bottle and lets the liquid carbonate. Then you use dry ice to freeze the plug, let it drop out and shove in the champagne cork.

I've never done it, but it sounds hard and potentially messy enough that I'd rather buy what I want to drink!

Couldn't you just let it ferment out and bottle prime like beer?

Or, if you have the equipment, just force carbonate and bottle.

There are no kits that I know of for champagne. However, you can use kit wine to make a sparkling wine, and you can use them in similar preportions to retail versions. For instance Dom Perignon is 52% Chardonay and 48% Pinot Noir. But these are pressed quickly and only the first bit (some say 50%) of the juice from the pressing is used for champagne. This keeps the coloring to a minimum. They then age the bottles on the lees for at least 2 years (typically more) and then the recipes for Liqueurs d'Expedition are all proprietary. And don't forget about disgorging the bottles, which is sticky and difficult. I'll be trying my first batch this fall, in the mean time I'd suggest doing as much reading as possible and collecting champagne bottles.

Back