Safe amounts of priming sugar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim27

Reaction score
I am still a bottle primer. For those who still are and those who have been, what is the maximum safe amount of priming sugar you have added to your bottles? I want to try a teaspoon and a quarter for 22 oz bottles and half that for 12 ouncers.

I would still boil and cool sugar in water and add that to the carboy.

There is a little risk of oxidation, but much risk of contamination from unboiled sugar.

I agree batch priming is the way to go. You can actually weigh the sugar as well, which will give you more precise control over the carbonation.

I have never primed single bottles except for using carb tabs so I can't be of much help on that part.

I would recommend getting a bottling bucket. If you get an icing bucket from a grocery store bakery, you can buy a spigot for about $3 and make a bottling bucket very easily. You can also get buckets from hardware stores for about $5.

Because I don't have a bottling bucket.:(

Go to a hardware store and get a translucent or white bucket...but look for one where the 5 gallon mark falls way below the top of the bucket. Usually it will say 5 gallons at 3rd band from the top. (oh get the lid too....I totally regret not getting it when I did.)

Then get a spigot and make a dedicated bottling bucket. It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

Mine is the translucent Leaktite brand 5 gallon container with the gallon and liter markings from Homedepot. I think it cost me less than 5 bucks.

61GTWpzk9ML._SL500_AA280_.gif

Here's a pic of mine from my bottling thread.

bottling_wand.jpg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

You will find it is much easier to bottle that way, and you can control the amount of carbonation you want in your batch. It is really difficult to get consistent carbonation across each bottle trying to measure out sugar for each bottle the way you are doing it.

Back