Flip-Top Bottle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brehm21

Reaction score
Okay, so I got some nice "cobalt" blue flip-top bottles and put them to use.
Some of them didn't carbonate.
Is there a certain way to cap them properly? I just flipped them shut and set them back to age, but so far I've had 3 out of the 10 turn out flat. Not spoiled...they taste great....just flat.
The o-rings, caps, and bottles were new.
The 7 out of 10 I've opened were carbonated nicely. 2 still left unopened.
None of the other standard bottles from this batch have been flat.
I racked these in the middle of the batch, since I stired up some yeast when I started racking, and I knew I'd stir some up at the end.....is there a way to get them too "clear" and not have enough yeast to carbonate?

Any ideas?

About the only real trick is to make certain the cap is dead-center before you flip the clip down. In theory, the curve of the underside of the cap will give a good seal regardless of the alignment, but... If certain bottles are consistantly flat, I'd replace the rings. No telling how old the "new" bottles are. Some people use keg lube on the rings.

brehm21 said:
s there a way to get them too "clear" and not have enough yeast to carbonate?

that would be very difficult without EXCESSIVE aging of the beer. even crystal clear, spent-2-months-in-the-secondary beer will have millions and millions of yeasties floating around in it and will carbonate in the bottle. They might take a little longer to get the job done, but they will definately be able to condition your brew.

As a side note, I saw some bottles just like that in one of the HBSs, really nice looking cobalt flip-tops. What I wasn't sure about, though, was if the blue glass will do as good a job blocking out light as the brown bottles do. I'm not sure if the blue glass won't block out certain wavelengths that might prove damaging to the beer. Probably a non-issue since I store all the beer out of the light, but I would hate to buy a couple cases of bottles and have them damage the goods.

brehm21 said:
Is there a certain way to cap them properly? I just flipped them shut and set them back to age, but so far I've had 3 out of the 10 turn out flat. Not spoiled...they taste great....just flat.
The o-rings, caps, and bottles were new.
The 7 out of 10 I've opened were carbonated nicely. 2 still left unopened.
None of the other standard bottles from this batch have been flat.
I racked these in the middle of the batch, since I stired up some yeast when I started racking, and I knew I'd stir some up at the end.....is there a way to get them too "clear" and not have enough yeast to carbonate?

Any ideas?

how long has it been since you bottled?

the_bird said:
As a side note, I saw some bottles just like that in one of the HBSs, really nice looking cobalt flip-tops. What I wasn't sure about, though, was if the blue glass will do as good a job blocking out light as the brown bottles do. I'm not sure if the blue glass won't block out certain wavelengths that might prove damaging to the beer. Probably a non-issue since I store all the beer out of the light, but I would hate to buy a couple cases of bottles and have them damage the goods.

the blue does not block the light like the brown/amber bottles. You can lump the blue ones right in with the green and clear bottles.

-walker

well.... ANY color of bottle will work if you keep it out of the UV light. :)

I'm just saying that if you do expose the bottles to UV, the brown will protect the beer better than green/blue will.

-walker

Lou said:
how long has it been since you bottled?

It's sneaking up on two months since these were bottled.

I'm thinking they just didn't seal some how and most of my CO2 leaked out. There's sediment in each one, and they don't taste any sweeter than the carbonated bottles.

Perhaps I should polish off the last two sooner than later to avoid any excess leak time. :mug:

I have been saving grolsch bottles for a while and just bought 20 for 10 bucks from my LHBS I hope they have some left next time I am there, they are supposed to be getting amber ones aswell they are used but good deal nontheless.

brehm21 said:
Is there a certain way to cap them properly? I just flipped them shut and set them back to age, but ...
Besides what David 42 said about centering and possible seal replacement, check the tension of the bails. After lots of use the steel can slowly bend so that they are a little too loose. So how tight is enough? You don't want a two year old to be able to flip it open (experience here) but neither do you want to be chipping glass either (more experience). Just tighten them a little at a time until they feel snug and secure. Also you might want to take them off the bottle, bend them and then re-install them to reduce your chance of breakage and stitches.

So, I'm bringing this thread back to life.
After bottling another batch in these bottles and being sure to center the caps and give them a little push, I've run into the same problem. But here's "my new discovery." When I pop the top on a warm one, I have carbonation, beautiful head, and great homebrew. When I put one in the fridge for a day or more, I get flat beer.
Even though these were new bottles and the seals were new in their own little sealed bag, I think I'll start with new seals and johnoswald's advice about bending the bails to get more pressure. Then I'll give one to my two year old niece and see if she can open one!
OR!
Are these types of bottles not meant to sit in a cold fridge for any extended period of time? I'm aware that rubber seals will harden somewhat at lower temperatures. Has anyone else experienced this with these bottles?

I am running it to the same situation. Did you ever solve this issue. This is a Pale Ale great tasting, but some pop when I open them and some don't.

Tom

I have a dozen or so flip tops...w/ good seals, they carb up fine. One thing you could try is filling yours with something already highly carb'd (like soda), cap it, shake it and see if your bottles can hold pressure.

brewt00l said:
I have a dozen or so flip tops...w/ good seals, they carb up fine. One thing you could try is filling yours with something already highly carb'd (like soda), cap it, shake it and see if your bottles can hold pressure.

That's a great tip. I'm going to have to try that. I've started giving out "Magic Bottles" to my friends for Christmas gifts. They are all flip-tops of various sizes/colors. I tell my friends that they are magic because if they return them clean, I will give 'em back full from my next batch.

I've just been nervous that I'll give a flat one away. I think I will pressure test each one before reloading. Thanks for the tip.

I tried this tonight and it was hit or miss if it held. I tried centering the cap and it still bubbled in the space between the plastic and the gasket. I tried it off set and it held 2 of the three times I tried it. Then I tried the centering the cap and applying pressure to it as I latched it that seemed to work the best (didn't fail the two time I tried it). It almost seems like the gaskets that came with the bottles are two big.

The soda was an awesome idea. My wife thinks I have gone crazy but it is worth it. I am going to try the center technique with pressure a couple more times and I will let you know the results tomorrow.

Tom

I tried the technique of applying pressure while capping and it held two more times. One of the times the pressure was great enough to blow the metal clasp off the bottle when I opened it! It sounded like a champagne cork popping. I am bottling my second batch this weekend ( a hefe). I'm going to try this tech. and see if it helps long term.

Tom

You can buy new gaskets at the local home brew shop. If you do that and tighten the bails a little, you should be fine.

I wouldn't keep bottling them without new seals/tightening...

These are new bottles. The came from the brew store with the gaskets not attached so I assume they are the same as the replacements. I wonder if I am not setting the gaskets on the caps all the way. I don't think that is the case. Can you explain the mechanics of tightening the bail? What part do you bend... Do you slightly spread the part attached to the cap...

I would appreciate any response.

Tom

Back