Classic Style Smoked Beer Herr Gumbolputty's Simple Smoked Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitzbube

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
American Ale Yeast
Yeast Starter
Yes, big one
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
unknown
Final Gravity
unknown
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
deep brown
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at about 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at about 65
Additional Fermentation
3 weeks in the bottle
Tasting Notes
Slightly smokey, rich head
Herr Gumbolputty’s Simple Smoked Ale

I am a bit of a lurker, but I do appreciate the posts for others. I contribute in hopes it might add to someone’s experience. I’ve been brewing occasionally for a couple years now—I think I am on batch 25 or so. I share this beer because I believe it is excellent, and is not much like anything one could buy. It is not as heavy as a full-on porter, has a coffee taste like a Guinness, but is smoother, and the smoked taste is subtle. I have to add that I “Brew in a Bag” on a stovetop, and even though I have done all grain brews, this I find is just easier for me. I think the full boil and the extra control one has by doing the mash right there on the stovetop (or on the burner) is really beneficial. I don’t check my conversion, nor do I take hydrometer readings. I just enjoy the beer. So I apologize to those who take the care to do those things. But I have found this is an exceptional beer despite being rather simple for a smoked brew.

Grain
8 lbs American 2 row
1 Chocolate Roasted American
2 lbs Amber DME

Hops
Bittering: 1 oz Kent, 1 oz Sterling
Dry Hop: ½ oz Simcoe, ½ oz Amarillo

Yeast: American Ale Yeast (Pitched onto a yeast cake from an IPA)
[Smoked 2 pounds of whole grain on a typical smoker; used water-soaked hickory chips. I did one pound at a time, and stored them in Tupperware until the crush for brewing. You can store smoked grains like this up to a year with no worry.]
I do the brewing with a Brew-in-a-Bag type method. I use 2 grain bags and 2 stovetop kettles which are 3 gallon stock-pots I think. I heat about 2-3 gallons of water in each kettle to 156 or so. Then drop 1 big bag of crushed grain into each kettle. I use the big spoon to make sure there are not clumps in the each bag, because there’s actually a lot of grain in there—4.5 pounds in each bag. I keep a 152 mash temp for about 70 minutes before I start steeping the grains out, rinsing them with hot water, which I add to the wort to bring it to about 2-3 inches from the top of the kettle. (Too close to the top and there would be a boil-over when the DME is added.) I then add the 2 pounds of DME after the mash is done. I add bittering hops, then boil a full hour. This is for a full boil; the only water I add to the wort after is that which I use to rinse (sparge?) the grains in the sink-- hot water— and that goes in before the boil. Cool, pitch, ferment, bottle. Primed with ¾ cup corn sugar.
This makes very good Ale. It has a beautiful head, just a hint of smoke, and it probably the best beer I have ever made. I thought I would share it here in thanks for all I have learned off these home brew talk forums.
Nuerenburgerbratwurst-eisenbahnwagen,
Craig in Bloomington, IN

This recipe looks really cool! Quick question (if you are still around), do you smoke just the 2 row, or a mix of the 2 row and chocolate? Also, did you ever try making it with commercial smoked malt?

I appreciate your response! I think I posted this well over a year ago.

Question #1: Do I smoke just the 2 row? Yes, i never smoke the specialty malts because the heat would ruin them. Remember, when you smoke, unless you have a cold smoker, you're changing the composition of the malt. I try to keep the temp low on the smoker. What I have found was that I get more smoke when I go with a low temp, and change the malts after 30 minutes. I spray the malts with a water mist every at the start and 15 minutes in. I've found that in 2 hours I can do 4 pounds of smoked 2 row using both levels of the smoker and pizza trays.

Question #2: I have tried commercial smoked malts before and been a little unsatisfied. Maybe it's because I have only used 1 pound, but the smoke is somehow less hearty and only provides a hint when I like that stronger smoke flavor. Other's experiences might be different.

Thanks for your comment.
Craig

This recipe looks really cool! Quick question (if you are still around), do you smoke just the 2 row, or a mix of the 2 row and chocolate? Also, did you ever try making it with commercial smoked malt?

Back