tri-clover fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the process of switching to a new way of business for my brewery. I am also getting rid of all the brass and going completely stainless in my kettles.

I recently bought two sets of tri-clover fittings from a guy on another board who makes them. I really like the idea of them because with my pump, I need some kind of quick disconnect system but I'm not in love with the brass fittings or the polysulfone fittings. This looks to me like the best way to do it--for my brewery anyway.

Here is what they look like (the pics aren't mine, but I did get permission to use them):

DSC02747.jpg

DSC02750.jpg

DSC02751.jpg

DSC02748.jpg

Anyone else use anything like this?

What are the prices he is asking? Does he only make the threaded kind or does he make a variety of fittings? I have been looking into this for a long time (pipe dreaming) and would eventually like to upgrade my system to sanitary fittings. Those look sweet!

They would be my preference on my pump, but I have only seen them for big $$$. Did you find a good deal on them?

Contact THIS guy to learn more about them. He has a thread in the "classified ads" section on that site I just linked.

The price is awesome, IMHO. $30 bucks a set. I'd think at most an entire brewery would only need 3-4 sets depending on how you do it. Try finding a bunch of sets of polysulfone disconnects that will hold up to this price and the quality of stainless steel. Not gonna happen, IMHO.

Tri-clover fittings are standard in the dairy industry.

They are sanitary and fairly easy to keep clean.

They are a PITA to connect. Especially if you have a stiff hose on one end.

You almost need three hands to connect them.

You first have to sanitize a couple of gaskets.
Then, try to hold the gasket in place when you try to get the two fittings to line up. Then hold the fittings and gasket in place while you try to find the clamp.
Try to wrap the clamp over the two fittings and gasket.
Almost always the gasket falls out from between the fittings.
Then you have to grab another gasket or re-sanitze the first one.
Hopefully the gaskets have not warped.
Finally you get the two fittings together with the gasket between and you start to tighten the clamp.
If all is good, nothing got between the gasket and the fittings, like yeast, trub, etc.
Turn on the pump.
No fluid movement. There is a bubble in the line.
Slowly loosen the clamp and try to let some fluid flow and get the bubble out.
Drop gasket and repeat.

As you could probably tell, I don't care for Tri-clover for use in a brew-pub. With 1 1/2" ID hose they can be VERY irritating to use. With 1/2" it could be better.

I always used bevel seat fittings with Teflon gaskets.

specifications.gif

On fittings that I changed often, like in the brewhouse, I used the Snap-tite gaskets. Unfortunately the smallest bevel seat is made is 1"

Again, this is on 7 bbl or larger systems.

I am going to be putting a 10 gallon home brew system together very soon. I hope to use Cam-lock fittings.

cg-c0000.jpg

cg-f0000.jpg

That looks pretty sweet! $30 is a little steep for my pocket book though, even with the stainless construction.

I made my system up using 1/2" copper unions for all my hot-side connections. It works really well but I have to use a couple wrenches to get a good seal. It's not as much of a pain in the butt as it sounds like however. Copper unions are self centering so I just tighten it by hand and give it a quick snug with the wrench and I'm off to the races.

I would have to agree, I don't really consider tri-clover's as a quick disconnect.

Sanitary, yes. Able to disconnect and reconnect with one hand, no.

Swagman is a good guy to deal with, and if you are ever in the KC area during the fall check out their Mugs for Juggs event they put on to benefit the Susan G. Komen foundation.

Those cam lock fittings look bad ass!

Hmmm....I've used tri-clovers in the past (dairy) and I could do it quicker than hell. I'm not worried about that at all.

I still think it is a better option than the polysulfone, which are too fragile (IMHO).

Dude said:
Hmmm....I've used tri-clovers in the past (dairy) and I could do it quicker than hell. I'm not worried about that at all.

Dude,

That's wonderful. You must be a lot more co-ordinated than me (not hard to do ;) )

Good luck with your Brutus build out. I really like the way that system is designed.

I hope to use his stand ideas on my own system.

Tri clovers are awesome and they work great. It might be hard to see in this picture but I have 12 tri clover clamps on my system. I have 2 inch on the outside of the kegs and 1.5 inch everywhere else. Dude I can send you a better picture that you can blow up and see better if you want.

2947197180058020267S600x600Q85.jpg

foppa78 said:
Tri clovers are awesome and they work great. It might be hard to see in this picture but I have 12 tri clover clamps on my system. I have 2 inch on the outside of the kegs and 1.5 inch everywhere else. Dude I can send you a better picture that you can blow up and see better if you want.

2947197180058020267S600x600Q85.jpg

Please!

korrea4 at yahoo dot com

We use tri-clover fittings exclusively at the two breweries I work at and I love them. I find that they're quick and easy to connect with one hand. The ferrule has a groove and the gasket has a ridge that holds it it place when fitting two pieces together. I've never had a problem keeping the gaskets in place while connecting.

Wayne1 said:
I am going to be putting a 10 gallon home brew system together very soon. I hope to use Cam-lock fittings.

cg-c0000.jpg

cg-f0000.jpg
I use Cam Lock and LOVE them they come in stainless and aluminum the aluminun ones are a &itch to put together but the stainless is the bomb.
JJ

Jaybird said:
I use Cam Lock and LOVE them they come in stainless and aluminum the aluminun ones are a &itch to put together but the stainless is the bomb.
JJ
I like the look of those things. Where would one find them?

Edit: Nevermind, I shouldn't be so lazy. :)

I use tri-clover and love them. No drips, easy cleaning and besides they look cool. I think you will be very happy.

Dude, what hose do you use?

Brewpastor said:
I use tri-clover and love them. No drips, easy cleaning and besides they look cool. I think you will be very happy.

Dude, what hose do you use?

I was going to buy the silicone stuff that B3 sells, but I don't like that it isn't clear. I'm still kind of searching around at this point.

AHS sells some translucent silicone tubing that I've come to love. It's a little expensive, but you'll always pay a little extra for silicone tubing over PVC or vinyl.

Yuri_Rage said:
AHS sells some translucent silicone tubing that I've come to love. It's a little expensive, but you'll always pay a little extra for silicone tubing over PVC or vinyl.

Good info.

Honestly, right now I use some thickwalled Bevlex 200 and it holds up to heat really well. It is clear and has worked well for me in the past. I might just stay with it.

Dude said:
Good info.

Honestly, right now I use some thickwalled Bevlex 200 and it holds up to heat really well. It is clear and has worked well for me in the past. I might just stay with it.

What is that? I am not familiar.

We use sanitary/tri-clover/quick clamp fittings on all of our equipment at the brewery and they are a pain when you first start using them, but you'll quickly learn all kinds of tricks and flips that make connecting them quite easy. If you can do it with one hand, then you're a better man than me 'Topia! I usually need one hand to hold the hose against the fitting and one to flip the clamp on. Then, one hand to hold the clamp closed and one to tighten the screw.

You can disconnect them with one hand, granted, unless you have something like caustic in the line that you don't want to splash on anything...

When we CIP our tanks, our process has us connecting/disconnecting the hoses over and over again for running the tanks and rinsing and it becomes quite the good practice drill. If you don't have it down, you will soon!

I've seen even smaller fittings as well, maybe 3/4 to 1 inch? May make more sense in some locations.

Anyway, don't fear the clamps!

:drunk:

Bevlex is the stuff most of us have on our kegerators (well, if you have any commercial parts, that is). It's the thick-walled beverage tubing designed for serving. If it holds up to high temps, the large diameter stuff probably makes great brewery line.

Originally posted bt Spyk'd
If you can do it with one hand, then you're a better man than me 'Topia! I usually need one hand to hold the hose against the fitting and one to flip the clamp on.

True Spyk'd, I just meant that it was quick and easy to flip the tri-clamp on with one hand. Of course, you need to hold the hose with the other hand and once the clamp is on, tighten the screw. :)

Still pretty easy.

Yuri_Rage said:
BevLex is the stuff most of us have on our kegerators (well, if you have any commercial parts, that is). It's the thick-walled beverage tubing designed for serving. If it holds up to high temps, the large diameter stuff probably makes great brewery line.

OK, I place the stuff now. It is the FANCY clear tubing!

Latest posts

Back