Chinook - how much is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
1.050 OG chinook vienna smash 5 gallons. Looking to be inundated with pine but avoid cat urine.

Really depends on what you want to brew. Based on the OG I'm assuming a hoppy APA?

I'd bitter with 35 IBUs worth (60 mins), flavor with 15 IBUs worth (15 mins) then do an ounce at flameout and dry hop with an ounce too (assuming a 5 gallon batch).

BTW - I've never gotten the cat urine thing from Chinook. Definitely from Citra and sometimes Simcoe, but not Chinook.

One mans cat urine is another mans pine forest. Seriously, it's mostly perception. It's hard to suggest what will smell like cat pee to you. Personally, I love Chinook and can't get enough. Michael Jackson says don't stop till you get enough (chinook).

I've heard the concerns expressed when someone's about to use Chinook, seems like its the same type of concern when using summit although different flavor/aroma types.

I found Chinook to be one of the most citrusy grapefruit forward hops I've ever used. I make a basic nor cal bitter or extra pale ale with nothing but dme and chinook and it comes out citrusy piney and extremely hop forward. Love that hop. Because you want pine, I'd go heavy with the additions and see what happens.

Thanks guys much appreciated! Had it commercially quite a bit but never brewed with it myself nor had it as the sole hop.

Goal is a a toasty pale ale dominated by pine aroma.

Back