Blueberry Ale for Summer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efreem01

Reaction score
Hey All,

I was thinking of doing a blueberry ale for some summer drinking. So i guess i have two choices here. Blueberry flavoring or fresh blueberries. What do you all think of this kit i found at the LHBS. Do you think this has potential?

FIRE ISLAND BLueBERRY ale NEW
$ 39.95
2/3.3 lb cans Plain Light Extract
Carapils Malt
Kent Goldings Hops
Blueberry Flavoring
Boiling Bag and Bottle Caps
Yeast, Beer Finings and Priming Sugar

So Blueberry Flavoring is $5.50/4 oz. Fresh blueberries are on sale for $2.99/container. I think they're like 12oz. Should i try this extract kit w/grains for $39 or formulate my own recipe?

$39 for a batch sounds way high. If I were you, I'd make my own recipe similar to that one, but purchase the ingredients separately. It appears you live east of the Mississippi, which you means you can get free shipping on orders over $35 from Listermann; Listermann also happens to have bulk LME for very cheap----about $2.10/lb last time I checked.

I'd use real blueberries, just for the authenticity factor, and also for the cool color they'll impart.

You don't need finings, BTW. Priming sugar should be purchased separately---just buy bulk corn sugar and use 3/4 cup per 5 gallons. I'd use a Safeale yeast, like US-56, also very cheap, unless you'd like to try a liquid yeast. I'd also recommend using some more specialty grains in that recipe, just to make it a little more interesting.

You don't really need a boiling bag either. Caps can be purchased for VERY cheap.

good luck! Let us know if you need any more advice on this brew. In fact, post your recipe when you have it...

Latest posts

Back