Dealing with neighbors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lustreking

Reaction score
How do you deal with a neighbor that thinks it's ok to constantly throw his/her cigarette butts in your yard? I've started chucking them back onto their patio, but that hasn't seemed to make them realize that I don't appreciate it.

I shouldn't have to go over and knock on their door and ask them not to throw trash in my yard, should I? I mean that's just pretty much common sense, right?

You could just save them up for a while and then dump them on his front step. Of course, if he doesn't get the clue, get the neighborhood dogs to use his lawn for a toilet. :drunk:

Just tell him to stop. I know you shouldn't have to, but it sounds like in this case you do have to.

If that doesn't work, binkman's suggestion of arson is totally warranted.

1) Freeze hot dogs.
2) Pound them into his lawn.
3) Let a hungry dog, goat or badger go in his yard.
4) ?
5) No more cigarette butts!

Or, you know, post number 2...:D

It would seem to you and I that this would be a matter of common sense, which has already been ruled out, or common courtesy, which has likely fallen down the same path as common sense. In situations like this, I've tried to remember that we've all come from different upbringings, and that your neighbor likely thinks its no big deal - everybody does it, or "he's my neighbor, he won't mind". Until you make your case with him about it, just assume he's going to keep doing the same thing.

Your best bet is to catch him outside sometime and mention it to him. If you knock on his door about it, he may get defensive. And to further the cause, maybe offer him a coffee can full of sand or cat litter for his future butts. If he acts like a dick over it, then you can rest assured that he really doesn't care about you as a neighbor. In which case it is fully acceptable in modern culture to do what binkman said and burn his house down. That'll teach him a lesson. And any future residents as well.

I would keep it simple, stay friendly, and avoid getting angry. When you meet your neighbor the next time, talk about the weather and some general chit-chat first. Perhaps offer a homebrew. Then, let him/her know that you try to keep your yard looking good and ask him/her to please avoid flicking cigarette-butts on your lawn. If the problem persists after that; See answer # 2.

You need to confront them post#2. Preferably when your neighbor is disposing of a butt in your yard. If they are a dick then I like post #9. If that dosen't work then procede to post#3

Sounds like a classic case of "Sh*tbirds".

These are the same sh*tbirds who toss butts out of their cars even though there's a goddamn ashtray in the car.

Like we say in the North Country...F*ck 'em!

Sounds like you are definitely going to have knock on his door and confront him about, politely of course. If he's a dick about it just remind him that there is a fine for littering. It's a $1000 here in California. Hopefully that will get his attention and make him think twice before flicking another butt on your yard.

Yep, just ask him not to. If he gets pissy, collect them all for about a month or two, then dump them on his doorstep with a sign that says, "You must have accidentally dropped these in my yard. I thought you might want them back."

Yep, just ask him not to. If he gets pissy, collect them all for about a month or two, then dump them on his doorstep with a sign that says, "You must have accidentally dropped these in my yard. I thought you might want them back."

I like this....

Wish I could use it on the walking hormones that throw their McDonald's crap on my lawn. Would love to dump a weeks worth of my trash on their lawns.

Love that out-of-towner who drove into town and threw a McD's bag out the passenger window onto the shoulder. sumbitch.

Why or how can people be so rude? I mean, this REALLY IS common sense and courtesy.

"Sorry, I'm to F'in lazy to use a trash can".

Well, I'd suggest nicely asking him to stop. But otherwise, save them up and dump back into his yard. Not a chance in Hell you can get the police involved in a civil dispute like this. But having that person's name on a report might make some cops decide to give them a speeding ticket instead of letting them off. Never know.

Find something equally annoying to put in their yard. Have dogs?

jmendez29 said:
Use lawn fertilizer. First, it burns the grass so he has a nice brown spot in the shape of whatever you spell. Then when it grows back, what do you think will grow fastest?

Roundup works well for this. He gets it for 2 years.

How well do you know them? Do you ever see who it is that is smoking? I know when I was a teenager, I would smoke in the back yard and throw them over the fence to hide the evidence. How many butts end up in your yard?

I am willing to bet its a teenager disposing of the evidence... or a really inconsiderate human being (which is quite possibly either or)

If its some prick, I would just take a crap in their front yard. And then blame it on a really big dog if he comes a knockin.....

Heard a story about a neighbor who like to steal newspapers. One day the HomeOwner decided to plant a newspaper on their porch with a "gift" inside.

The paper thief got the idea.

Perhaps it's time to get a bit ****ty.

Back