12oz bottles: too little head space?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gritmaster

Reaction score
Attempted the "We Don't Need No Stinking Beer Gun' method for the first time and it mostly worked.

I really wanted to prevent any oxidation, though, so I filled the bottles to the tippy top right before capping.

There is now maybe like 1/8" head space (barely any). Is this too little? Is it going to foam over in the judge's hand when opened?

I could obviously pry off the cap, pour out a smidge, and re-cap...but of course don't want to if it is not needed.

Not sure if I lost any points but I have had the comment "over filled" on comp. results before. This year I bottled with a full SNPA next to the bottles and filled them to that level.

When bottle conditioning I think the head space plays a role but what the hell do I know?

"We Don't Need No Stinking Beer Gun" works just like any other wand. Leave it all the way in until the level reaches the top. Stop the flow when you pull it out. The liquid displaced by the wand will give you a proper fill.

Like BendBrewer said. If you fill to the top you may get hit for over fill.

Back