Monster Mill using hand crank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggieactuary

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Monster Mill MM-3 with the hand crank?

How long does it take for an average 5 gallon batch, say 12 lbs. of grain?

Is it difficult to crank by hand?

Thanks for any help.

Can't speak for the Monster. But with the Barley Crusher...I did one pound to 'clean' the rollers with the crank and immediately hooked up the cordless drill.

My drill works pretty hard to turn my MM-3, no way I would want to crank it. You can get a Harbor Freight 1/2" slow speed drill for less than $40.

Use a drill. It's pretty rough after a while. All that extra sweat on your grains will throw your water ions off :)

Hey, just a heads up, you might want to get the handle just in case your drill craps out mid-mill session. I had that happen and luckily my handle was there for a nice backup. I could have used other things but having a proper handle was nice.

I use an old hand drill - you know the ones with the wood circle on the end that everyones grand dad has - and I ground two flatish sections on the mill spindle for it to grip onto. Works like a dream, just ground 27 lbs in about 12 mins! No sweat - well maybe a little :)

Back