Capping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cl00bie

Reaction score
I have been in process of brewing my first batch of beer (Dunkelweisen). It is currently in the carboy bubbling happily. I'm now looking forward to bottling it.

I had originally bought 24-22oz bottles, and the caps came in my Brewer's Best kit. I discovered that I was going to at least need one more case, so I bought it.

When I got home I tried capping one of them empty to see if my grandfather's old bench capper worked for this.

When I pressed down on the capper, I heard a frightening "grinding" which was accumulated grit on the part in which the bottle rests :eek: (I will clean that all out, and cut a small "coaster" out of the non skid material they use to line cabinets). This got me a little nervous about breaking the bottle. It felt like it had capped properly, and it was sufficiently difficult to take off with an opener, but I'm getting visions of my entire batch failing to carbonate because of an insufficient seal on the caps.

I know, relax, don't worry :cool:, but is there a way to determine if a bottle is capped properly by looking at it?

Maybe just fill one, then turn it upside down after you've capped it. If nothing leaks out, then I'd say that your seal is good.

As long as its fully crimped all the way around evenly. I wouldn't worry.

You can also try to spin the cap, if it spins easily then it is not capped correctly. You could even try holding it a bit with a towel to make sure that it wont spin after crimped on.

Back