Coopers Beer Kits Mixed at 5 gal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangersjay99

Reaction score
Not thinking, I mixed a Coopers kit at 5 gallons instead of 6 gallons (23l). What problems, if any will I have? Should I add more water to get to 6? Or leave alone?

I mixed up the batch yesterday and the airlock is already bubbling away?

Thanks for the help!

Problems? You'll run out of bottles sooner than you would, but the beer will be higher in alcohol %

The bigger problem is - you need to get started on your next batch so you won't run the pipeline dry!

It will be about 1% ABV higher, not a problem for most styles. You can dilute it now or in the bottling bucket, just boil the water first and cool it. Or bottle as-is.

Relax - I'd say if you really want to water it down & try to hit the right % for ABV, just do it like David recommended above & add more water when you go to the bottling bucket. Instead of disolving your sugar at the recommended amount of water - go bigger on the water ( up to 1 gallon) and then you can dilute the beer while you're racking from the fermenter.

You won't hurt anything by opening up the bucket, but it goes against the general Relax, don't worry routine. Let the yeast work in peace.

Latest posts

Back