Ale-like Doppelbock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffo

Reaction score
Is there an ale version of a Doppelbock?

What would be the closest?

Is it possible to ferment a Doppelbock at 50 degrees and not do the secondary fermentation?

Thanks.

If you fermented a Doppelbock wort with ale yeast, I suppose you could call it a Wee Heavy.

Is it possible to ferment a Doppelbock at 50 degrees and not do the secondary fermentation?

Not sure what you mean by this. I don't secondary any beers. It's your beer, you can do what you want!

1. I'd agree, your best bet would be a Strong Scotch Ale yeast, Wyeast 1728 - Scottish Ale™ might do it.

2. No, you can't skip the lagering phase for a lager. If you can't maintain near freezing temperatures for a few months, you should stick with ales.

I know I'm bumping a very old thread here but this confuses the heck out of me!

I currently have a Munton's Bock beer brewing. In the kit instructions there is no mention of lagering whatsoever, and the fermentation temp is 64-66*F. am I making a bock ale, as was said not possible in this thread?

Yeah, that's not really a dopplebock. My first beer, years ago with Mr. Beer, was also a dopplebock with ale yeast. It actually turned out to be a pretty decent beer, but it wasn't really a dopplebock.

I don't think they should sell lager kits with ale yeasts to beginners, it's pretty rude IMO.

I have absolutely no idea how this would really turn out, but what about a California Common Yeast and fermenting in the 60-68F range? Not sure how it would do with a roasty beer, but it could potentially be a good compromise.

I used Wyeast california common for a Chinook-driven steam beer last year and it turned out pretty well.

If you want to make a lager-like beer with an ale yeast, I think you just want to use the cleanest yeast possile. I'd use either WLP001 Cal. Ale or one of the Kolsch yeasts. Ferment as low as you can and still be in ale temp range -- maybe aim for 60F?

Bumping this old thread as some of the participants may still be active and have new insight on the subject.

I'm considering brewing a double bock but skipping the lagering part. I don't mind using lager yeast and I can ferment at the right temperature (using a wine fridge), but don't have the patience to wait months for my brew, let alone the nerve to ask my partner to keep our regular fridge at near freezing temperature again (I did that twice for other lager brews, and she almost kicked me out of the house). Is a double-bock-without-lagering worth the efforts? If not, any equivalent ales that offer similar full body and maltiness?

BTW, shouldn't the title be "Doppelbock-like Ale?" ;)

Back