grolsch question,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokysalsa

Reaction score
Was wondering how to tell if the gasket is bad or not, i know if its cracked, dry rotted its bad, i scored 102 of them off of craigslist,for REAL cheap,:ban: they have a pretty good indention from the bottle on them.

Most home brew supply shops have them and they cost about 5 or 6 cents each when buying a 100 quantity.

Caps :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

You can get 100 there for $6.

Wish they were that cheap in Canada....most local homebrew shops charge 25 cents each....so $25 for a bag of 100....if you agree to buy in bulk, they "may" cut you a deal and go 20 cents each...LOL..:mad: Pisses me off when i see them for $6 online on the other side of the border...:mad:

Wish they were that cheap in Canada....most local homebrew shops charge 25 cents each....so $25 for a bag of 100....if you agree to buy in bulk, they "may" cut you a deal and go 20 cents each...LOL..:mad: Pisses me off when i see them for $6 online on the other side of the border...:mad:

In reality, you could use the gasket more than once. I have read that you can use them up to 5 or 6 times, but at the price I can buy them for, I just replace them each time. If I was paying 25 cents each for them, I might consider using them longer.

If they dry out and don't form a tight seal with the lid, you won't get the carbonation you are looking for in bottle conditioning. Experiment with it and see what your results are.

Yeah, i use mine a few times over as well......usually take them off , inspect, make sure they're good and clean then re-use. I received a bunch of bottles from another homebrewer that had some gaskets that needed to be replaced...but the bottles i buy back from the recycle depot are in better shape cause they've been used once, then taken to the depot. But yeah, at the price you can get them at.....i'd do the same thing and be safe.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but anybody ever use rubber washers for gaskets? I figured they'd be the same thing? only black of course. almost similar to the rubber washers you see inside garden hoses and stuff....wonder if they'd work? might end up being more expensive in the end, or might end up cheaper....:drunk:

...or might end up leaching chemicals into your beer. Especially for something so cheap - I don't know much about different kinds of rubber but I wouldn't use anything not intended as food grade.

Back