Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have made a spiced Christmas beer which I used to regularly serve at our own yearly holiday party as well as my mother and father-in-law's Christmas party that was primarily attended by members of their Presbyterian church.

The beer was one of the better ones I could brew and a lot of people at those parties who normally would not drink beer, especially little old ladies for some reason, would try it and say, "this is really good, it doesn't even taste like beer!" which I though was an interesting compliment.

My father-in-law was nice enough to have a mix-n-match 6 pack for me when we stopped over for dinner the other night. He usually drinks wine, but when he drinks beer it's limited to Stella and Yuengling. In there was a bottle of Flying Dog's Raging *****. I let him and my brother-in-law try it, and the bitter beer faces were priceless.

My boss told the previous mayor I brew beer. The mayor gets this smirk on his face, "Make anything good??" Before getting irritated, I smirk back and say," Nothing YOU would like." He was the one that ended up feeling offended. :p

The response I usually get in the circle that i am around is usually the one of great respect for being the brewer. But then you get the sarcastic comments about how I "make everything" (Sausages, Beer, BBQ sauce, sodas, and just about any food brought to any party)

Explaining to someone that I made hard cider for the party:

"So what did you add to it?"

Yeast?

I think she thought that I spiked it with liquor to make it hard cider.

Haven't heard that tune in a long time.

I heard it Christmas morning during breakfast... my wife said, "how about starting the day with some Christmas music?" and put on a CD with They're Coming to Take me Away, Purple People Eater, a couple of Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs songs, etc.

I heard it Christmas morning during breakfast... my wife said, "how about starting the day with some Christmas music?" and put on a CD with They're Coming to Take me Away, Purple People Eater, a couple of Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs songs, etc.

You have it on CD? Where? My Dad had those songs on Record that we used to listen to every year...

Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda, Here I am at, Camp Grenada... Camp is very, Entertaining, and they say that we'll have fun when it stops raining...

I've had pretty much universally good reactions when I tell people, but who knows. If anything it's just requests for beer which is a fine problem to have. :mug:

You have it on CD? Where? My Dad had those songs on Record that we used to listen to every year...

Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda, Here I am at, Camp Grenada... Camp is very, Entertaining, and they say that we'll have fun when it stops raining...

I believe those songs are on Dr. Demento CDs, my Dad has a few of those as well

Just got this one yesterday "You make homebrew? Oh, I don't like that kind of beer". Mouth wide open... could not come up with a response.

I've been brewing for about six months and I've gotten great reactions when I tell people. I have even converted my coors/miller light drinking neighbors to craft beer.

I'm sure its been said numerous times already, but I hate getting the "can you make miller lite?"
Occasionally I respond with "yeah I've got it coming right out of the kitchen faucet" and it is oh so sweet when it flies right over their heads

Sometimes when I'm standing in line at the GE checkout & start talking to another hb'r,the cashier chimes in "Is that even legal? I'd be afraid the feds would bust me!". I still can't believe I heard that from a hispanic lady. Hell,they always bragged at work about making "Dego Red" in 55 gallon drums...:drunk:

I gave a bunch of sampler six packs out to family and friends over the holidays and I explained what each beer was, how it should be stored in the fridge (upright), how it needs to be poured into a glass, all the usual stuff.
The most common response was "Man there's a lot of rules to this! This sounds too much like work!"
...yeah well it took a lot of $%#@ing work to make the stuff too. Respect the beer, pour it in a glass, and don't be a dipsh!t.

My wife burned the CD herself, from an old cassette tape she put together years ago.

All the counselors hate the waiters,
And the lake has alligators.... :D

I'm sure its been said numerous times already, but I hate getting the "can you make miller lite?"
Occasionally I respond with "yeah I've got it coming right out of the kitchen faucet" and it is oh so sweet when it flies right over their heads

Had this same question New Year's Eve this week except Bud Light. My response was "no, my aim's not good enough to piss in a bottle". True story.

Had this same question New Year's Eve this week except Bud Light. My response was "no, my aim's not good enough to piss in a bottle". True story.
Sad but true: at work, I was known as a bit of a beer snob even before I started brewing - because I was the only one who drank regular Bud, instead of Bud light.:(

Me: "I brew beer"

Them: "I don't like homebrew"

Me: "How do you know?"

Them: "My brothers, uncles, sisters, cousins, friend that dieds, nephews, daughters, husband does it in his basement and it always tastes like vinegar"

Me: "Ok none for you"

I have made a spiced Christmas beer which I used to regularly serve at our own yearly holiday party as well as my mother and father-in-law's Christmas party that was primarily attended by members of their Presbyterian church.

The beer was one of the better ones I could brew and a lot of people at those parties who normally would not drink beer, especially little old ladies for some reason, would try it and say, "this is really good, it doesn't even taste like beer!" which I though was an interesting compliment.

I've gotten the "it doesn't even taste like beer" before. I was glad to hear it, since it was mead and apfelwein. :D

I love it when I give beer to someone and then no response. After a few weeks I'll ask, "So how was it?" The response, "Oh, I haven't tried it. It's still in the fridge. I really don't like beer very much". Well, that's the end of anything homemade for you. All I can think of is those bottles of wasted beer sitting in their fridge that someone else could be enjoying and it will probably end up being poured down the drain without even trying it.

I love it when I give beer to someone and then no response. After a few weeks I'll ask, "So how was it?" The response, "Oh, I haven't tried it. It's still in the fridge. I really don't like beer very much".
This exact thing... I gave some to coworkers back in July... One of the guys I gave it to still hasn't drank it, such a waste of a session pale ale. By the time he does drink it, it'll be nothing like it was intended to be.

If you accept someone's homebrew, it is your civic duty to consume it in a timely and reasonable fashion... Unless they tell you otherwise.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I gave a bunch of sampler six packs out to family and friends over the holidays and I explained what each beer was, how it should be stored in the fridge (upright), how it needs to be poured into a glass, all the usual stuff.
The most common response was "Man there's a lot of rules to this! This sounds too much like work!"
...yeah well it took a lot of $%#@ing work to make the stuff too. Respect the beer, pour it in a glass, and don't be a dipsh!t.

"Respect the beer, pour it in a glass, and don't be a dip****!" Lol
Can I have your permission to pront that on my labels 😬

one of my co-workers:"I'm gonna have to buy a few bottles of your beer from you some time."
me:"no, but I'll give you some."
CW:"I won't tell anyone."
me:"Neither will I, but I still won't sell it to you. Free beer is better anyway."

I've also gotten mostly positive responses. About the worst one was getting a very questioning stare after being asked "is that really sanitary?" Oh man, to try to explain the effort that goes into making things sanitary...I didn't even know where to begin.:smack:

That is about what I get. Here is something that happended to me:

A friend of the wife's was being supportive. Her (friend) hubby and son drink beer, so I should let them try it. So, I give them two nice smooth porters. I get the bottles back in about two days. I asked what they thought. They said they just poured it out and did not drink it. I said, "What?" They said, well, that was not approved by the FDA, so we do not think it is something you should drink!!!!

So, I said, if someone baked you a cake, you would just throw it out, right? They did not get it.

A friend of the wife's was being supportive. Her (friend) hubby and son drink beer, so I should let them try it. So, I give them two nice smooth porters. I get the bottles back in about two days. I asked what they thought. They said they just poured it out and did not drink it. I said, "What?" They said, well, that was not approved by the FDA, so we do not think it is something you should drink!!!!

So, I said, if someone baked you a cake, you would just throw it out, right? They did not get it.

I'm a pretty laid-back person, but I'd have a hard time being polite if someone openly did that to me. Maybe they just didn't understand the effort that goes into making that beer, but still. If you're not even interested in trying it, don't accept the gift in the first place.

Casting pearls before swine...

Once, a co-worker stated that she would NEVER drink home brew, as "there's no way to know if it's safe to drink." That co-worker has a 2-pack a day habit. The irony was so thick I could cut it with a knife.

A very good buddy of mine ONLY drinks Bud Light. He always at least tries a sample of my homebrews but just doesn't have the taste for craft brews. I take it as a personal challenge to create a craft beer that he will actually finish! I came close with a Peach & Tea brew last summer...

I don't care how many batches I'll have to make (and drink), but 2014 will be the year I get him!

WOW. Now thats cold.
I would of laughed so hard, reasoning with those kind of people is just a waste of time.

Back